DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garbage Disposal Drains

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
I have a double sink, one side with a disposal on it. Is there some sort of check valve that can go on the other drain to prevent backflow into the other side when the disposal is run?

It doesn't always happen, but if the disposal is full and there is water building up in the sink, when you run the disposal some of the discharge will go into the other sink. I've tried plugging the other side but it doesn't always work and seems like a hassle.

Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
I have a double sink, one side with a disposal on it. Is there some sort of check valve that can go on the other drain to prevent backflow into the other side when the disposal is run?

It doesn't always happen, but if the disposal is full and there is water building up in the sink, when you run the disposal some of the discharge will go into the other sink. I've tried plugging the other side but it doesn't always work and seems like a hassle.
I think you have a problem with the drain, specifically a blockage or insufficient venting.

It is not usual or customary to put check valves in the drain pipe as you described.

#3 ·
Can you post a picture of the piping?

Is there a P-trap for the disposer and another one for the sink?

If they are piped together and then into a single P trap---that might be the problem--Mike--

#4 ·
Can you post a picture of the piping?

Is there a P-trap for the disposer and another one for the sink?

If they are piped together and then into a single P trap---that might be the problem--Mike--
There is a p trap off of the disposal then a straight tube. This ties to the other sink with a T and then into another p trap then to the sewage line. There is not a separate p trap for the other side of the sink.

Seems to me what is happening is that when the disposal is run, it shoots the discharge past the T and up the other side.

I will attempt to post a pic.

Thanks for the replies.

#5 ·
That's the problem. They are piped together,the disposer is pushing the sewage back up the other sink.

See if a T or Y can be installed at the main drain at the back of the cabinet.--Mike--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.