Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garbage Disposal Dilemma (with pic)

Well, I'm getting down to the wire... New cabinets, appliances, countertops, sink, garbage disposal and old plumbing...

I just got the countertop and sink installed yesterday and this is the first trial fit of the disposal. I don't see that I can use the original Y configuration of the pipe and I'm concerned about the drop from the outlet to the drain level, but here I am anyway.

Now what? Any suggestions?

tommy potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes View Post
I don't see that I can use the original Y configuration of the pipe and I'm concerned about the drop from the outlet to the drain level
doesn't the unit rotate? and i'd be more worried if the drain had to go UP, rather than down. to fill the gap between, i'm sure you could use flexible from unit to drain. use clear to see it in action! woohoo!

DM

Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #3

of course it rotates... I used that angle to illustrate the small drop from the discharge to the pipe. It's a little harder to show the small clearance between the pipe and the disposal unit's body (too narrow to consider using that side of the Y, I think).

The plan of the moment is to cap off the left hand opening to the drain, drop the output from the sink straight down and cross over from the disposal discharge into that with a T, and finish it up with a P trap into the right hand side.

I guess I'll just stick the dishwasher discharge into the input on the disposal, while I'm at it (I was originally going to T that into the drop from the sink, but that's going to be a bit shorter now, too...).

Some of this dilemma was caused by the installation of an undercounter sink with the new countertops, and the rest was a combination of a larger disposal and a new drain location in the new sink, you see...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would be a shame to cut up the back of the new cabinets, but lowering that wall stub would make life a lot easier. I don't think there's a way to get a trap on both sides of the Y for each side of the sink, so I'd opt for a reconfiguration as you suggested.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

Remove the double wye and install a continuous waste with one p-trap.
Or install a single wye. That would give you enough room for two p-traps. You just won't have a clean-out. Don't forget the knockout in the drain nipple on the disposer.
porchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #6

I would suggest losing the Y also and maybe put 90* straight down tight to the back of the cabinet and then out with traditional single trap before the two drains (big sink and disposer). Did you happen to save the "cut-out" of the cabinet back? Because, from my angle it looks like you might have to cut into the wall a bit to get smooth pvc to cement to.

good luck
OutToPasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #7

No way, says I.. The Sawzall stays in the basement. I ain't cuttin off no stinkin' Y nor gnashing no holes in my walls no more. No way...

It drains well and it don't leak.

It's a beautiful thing...
Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
No way, says I.. The Sawzall stays in the basement. I ain't cuttin off no stinkin' Y nor gnashing no holes in my walls no more. No way...

It drains well and it don't leak.

It's a beautiful thing...
That wiring of the garbage disposal won't pass code. Using an excushion to cover the junction box that is half covered by flammable materials (cabinet material). Just thought I would point that out.

Other than that the plumbing looks good, almost like a piece of art, considering what you had to work with.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #9

Nope, that ain't an estoochun coverin' a junction box. It's a romex whip, magically attached to a conduit outfeed, which was already approved twenty years ago, at the time of construction, by our ever diligent and obsessive compulsive building inspectors, at the time of construction.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Other than the double wye ( I would've removed it, but its no big deal that you didnt) that is how I would've run it. Nice looking job.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Love for Construction

Quote:
Nope, that ain't an estoochun coverin' a junction box. It's a romex whip, magically attached to a conduit outfeed, which was already approved twenty years ago, at the time of construction, by our ever diligent and obsessive compulsive building inspectors, at the time of construction.
Learn something new everyday, have never seen anything like that before.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:

In your first post you said that you replaced the cabinets. Well with access to the AC (Armored Cable) you are required to bring this to code. It doesn't matter that 20 yrs ago this was ok and since you had access to it prior to reconsealing it it needed to update. If all you did was replace the disposal then it didn't need to be updated.

Just FYI

Nice work though

Last edited by Plumber101; 03-21-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #13

Hey Mr. Potatoe head, NICE JOB!! AS long as the sh*t gets to the street thats all that counts. I'm just used anal H.O.s saying," why are there so many Pipes?!"

Sincerely,
NICE JOB
If it works, It works.
OutToPasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Crazy, but lovable

Rewards Points: 75

The drop down from the right hand sink and the T running to the disposal is how I've always seen disposals installed.
Nice job!

flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote