Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

Share |

Garbage Disposal in the country?

I understand that it is either against code or just not a good idea to have a garbage disposal with a septic system. However, my 100 year old house has what the home inspector termed a "cesspool' It's a hole about 20 - 25 feet deep. There is loose stacked brick on at least one side, and I can't see much more of it. There is no drain field or other components of a traditional septic system. Would a garbage disposal be a bad idea in this situation?

OffRoadAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
the Musigician

i should think a cesspool would handle about anything.... since ya gotta empty 'em when they get full.... unless the 'loose blocks' are allowing some drainage for liquid. but they still need to be emptied. i'd consider installing a septic tank and proper constructed drainage field.
or go get some goats.... they eat 90% of what you'd put in a disposal....ours do.... and the chickens eat the rest.... lol

DM

Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #3

A sink garbage disposer encourages you to put more solid matter down the drain. The more solid matter you put down, the more often you need to pump out a cesspool or septic tank.

A cesspool and a dry well are the same thing as constructed. A cesspool can be thought of as a septic tank and drain field (leach field) all in one piece. It is said to contaminate the ground water more than a septic tank system does, although the output from the septic tank to the leach field is also laden with bacteria.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-01-2009 at 08:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #4

I'd think you can live w/out the disposal. Sure, the cesspool is just a big hole in the ground, you can dump just about anything in there and be "ok", but as pointed out, the more you dump in there the more often you'll have to have it pumped. Ever seen one pumped, it's not a pretty operation, not something you want done often. If you take care of it (as in don't dump crap in it, err... I guess only dump crap in it. ) then you'll go a long time between pumpouts. My parents have a cesspool. They moved in when I was 4 (now 39) and raised my sister and I in the house. They've never had their cesspool pumped out.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #5

...and if you're "in the country" you could likely use a nice compost pile, and most of what you'd thrown down the disposal makes great compost.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
...and if you're "in the country" you could likely use a nice compost pile, and most of what you'd thrown down the disposal makes great compost.

DM
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Thanks all - good points to consider.

OffRoadAudio is offline   Reply With Quote