Garage Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage sink

Ok, so I'm baffled. I have a steel stand-alone double sink in my garage. I was trying to hook water up to it via the hose from my house. At first I took a "hose" and connected it to the copper pipe coming from the facet on the sink. Turned on the water to the hose and I had a mess to clean up. Turns out the hose was an old soaker hose...derp, hehe, yeah, probably should have paid attention huh.

Anyway, so my second attempt I got a hose with quarter inch thick walls and connected it to the copper pipe again. Turned on the hose and found a quick leak coming from where my "O" clamp wasn't tightened enough. Went back, tightened it, turned the facet on and there was water. I thought everything was good until I came out an hour later to check on things and found my garage had turned into a small swimming pool because the hose had blown up. Not blown off the copper pipe, the hose went kaboom.

Ok, so I went and used a garden hose with thick walls and wrapping figuring that maybe my hose was just too flimsy. Did the same method, connected it to the copper pipe via and "o" clamp, tightened it down nice and tight, turned the water on and everything was good. I left the water on again, went inside, came back out 4 hours later and saw the garden hose that was connected to the sink, (not coming from the house) had enlarged. So before I had myself another swimming pool I turned the water off and thought things over.

I figured that I was just going to have to get serious. I went to the store, bought some "vex" piping, (I think that's what it's called.) It kinda looks like pvc but its more flexible. I bought some "shark" connectors. They are the connectors that you push onto your piping about and inch and it takes a special tool to get them off. The more you try to pull them off without the tool the tighter they become. I went and hooked it all up, thinking I had outsmarted Mr. Murphy. (Murphy's Law) I turned on the water and I had a geyser from everyone of the connectors.

The connector coming from the copper pipe, the 90degree angle and the connector for the male end so I could hook the hose up. I installed all of them correctly. SO....here I am and here's what I don't understand. I can leave my hose on coming from the house with a sprayer nozzle on the end of it for weeks at a time and never have an issue. The hose never enlarges. The hose never blows up. I never have any water leaking from any connections.

But when I hook it up to this sink all hell breaks loose. I even tried just barely turning on the water pressure thinking that maybe for some reason it was too much and it still leaks all over the place just as bad.

Here are my questions.
1.) Why is it acting like there is too much water pressure when its just fine if there is a sprayer on the end.
2.) What can I do to connect the water hose to my sink in the garage?
Thank you.

Advertisement

mypony89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Garage sink

Why not just get some Sharkbites and some copper line, or PEX, and run the water that way.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

Garage sink

Do you have to worry about the garage freezing?
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage sink

is it hot/cold feed or jusr raw cold water..leaking out of hot opening????maybe
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 208

Garage sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Why not just get some Sharkbites and some copper line, or PEX, and run the water that way.
I think he has already done that
Quote:
I went to the store, bought some "vex" piping, (I think that's what it's called.) It kinda looks like pvc but its more flexible. I bought some "shark" connectors. They are the connectors that you push onto your piping about and inch and it takes a special tool to get them off. The more you try to pull them off without the tool the tighter they become. I went and hooked it all up, thinking I had outsmarted Mr. Murphy. (Murphy's Law) I turned on the water and I had a geyser from everyone of the connectors.
Sounds like shark-bites weren't really seated properly. I haven't seen shark bites leak as described.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Garage sink

When using the sharks with pex u must use the washer that gos in either end of the shark.
Some come with it already in there but some do not.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
allthumbsdiy (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Garage sink

PEX tube liner comes pre-installed on Sharkbite fittings (unless it's a return ). For GatorBite and TechTite fittings, liner comes with the packaging but you must install it.

As far as OP's original problem, you are right, it doesn't make sense.

Can you put a new hose and sprayer on the bib now and let it sit for a bit? Maybe your water pressure has somehow been changed?

Last edited by allthumbsdiy; 09-15-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: grammer
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Garage sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
Do you have to worry about the garage freezing?
You would actually place a T inline, and a shutoff at the T, so that you can drain the line, when you shutoff the Main valve to the line.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Garage sink

Ok, I'm sorry, I tried to make this neat but I've had the window close on me 2 times and I'm just typing it out now.
The pex has 1" markers already on it. When I first started installing it I made sure to start at the 1" markers so that I would know exactly how far to push the sharkbite up. The only spot that might be wrong is the copper piping which I had to measure 1" with a tape measure. Even if that 1 spot was wrong though I wouldn't imaging that all of the fittings would leak. Again, it's not just water dripping out of them but water spraying out of them as if you had your thumb partially over top the water hose end.
Not sure about if you mean being worried about the water going to the garage freezing or the garage itself freezing but either way yes. The garage has no heat in it and the water coming from the house would have the potential to freeze during the winter. Not sure what I'll do about that.
Also not sure what is meant by bib. I am not a plumber so I apologize in advance.
With placing a T inline....I'm sure I could do that if I knew what that meant. Again, no sarcasm meant, I am just not a plumber and really don't know what all that means. Forgive the ignorance please.

Advertisement

mypony89 is offline   Reply With Quote