Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Drain with no trap; how to unclog

So my builder did me a favor of giving me a garage drain without a trap or cleanout. Not only that, he gave me two entries into the drain. Think of it like a goal post. Two entries about 10 feet apart and I assume they combine into one pipe and it goes out to the storm drain.

The clog seems to be in the pipe going to the storm drain. If I try to snake it, the snake just comes up from the other entry. I can't get the snake to go down into the 'storm drain'.

I have put a bottle of draino into the drain and tried to plunger on one side but everything just comes up to the other side. What is the best way to stop up the other entry to try to get the air pressure down into the storm drain?

Thanks!

Scottcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume you have tried snaking from both drains?? There has to be a Tee, but if it not a directional Tee, it will be hard to snake. Chemicals might work, depending on the what the blockage is, but if it doesn't work, you have to deal with the chemicals somehow. Maybe a video snake is the answer.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcey View Post
So my builder did me a favor of giving me a garage drain without a trap or cleanout. Not only that, he gave me two entries into the drain. Think of it like a goal post. Two entries about 10 feet apart and I assume they combine into one pipe and it goes out to the storm drain.

The clog seems to be in the pipe going to the storm drain. If I try to snake it, the snake just comes up from the other entry. I can't get the snake to go down into the 'storm drain'.

I have put a bottle of draino into the drain and tried to plunger on one side but everything just comes up to the other side. What is the best way to stop up the other entry to try to get the air pressure down into the storm drain?

Thanks!
Ayuh,... Find a rubber expansion plug that fits it, 'n tighten it in...
Then work from the other drain hole...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Bondo, Thanks for the heads up on the rubber expansion plug. I got one and was able to move some junk in the drain by plunging time and time again. Its still not clear, but, I think if I keep doing this, it will over time.

Just Bill, yeah, the snake just goes from one end to the other and I cant get anything to bend down into the main drain. I might try air soon because I don't think the chemicals will break up the road grime in the drain.

But at least I got some movement with the plug and plunger.

Thanks!
Scottcey is offline   Reply With Quote