Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

Galvanized piping and Rough in valve

Hi there,
I have a 4 bedroom house which I bought about 6 months ago. The house was built in 1969 with galvenized piping. Currently I'm remodelling the guest bathroom. I've removed all the walls /drywall because there were certain problems with the drywall. Anyway I have complete access to the piping. I'd like to remove all the galvenized piping and put copper pipes up to the celing for now with a dielectric union so that I can remove the pipes in the attic later. The pipes aren't really the problem. On the bathtub/shower there is a rough in valve, which has 3 faucets. My wife is very keen on having 2 faucets, which have to have metal handles and the lever in the spout. The ones we are finding are made in such a way that they built for pipes coming up from the ground rather than pipes coming down from the ceiling. Is there a way to rotate the piping near the rough in valve with some copper piping fittings or is that going to be too many turns in the piping? Or is there a two faucet..((Note the faucets are wall mount)) out there with metal handles which can have the pipes fitted when they come from the ceiling. The perfect solution would be Moens faucet model 82402, but they only make plastic handles for it.

Last edited by geomeo; 10-13-2012 at 08:17 PM.
geomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

If she insist on the old fashion style with 2 handles not a sinlge lever she's going to cut the choises down by at least 75%, even more if you weed out the cheap plastic ones. Were going though this very same thing at my house right now.
Is your plan to run the pipes through an unheated attic?
Still trying to figure out why your supply would not be coming from below instead of above like I belive your suggesting.
I suggest you also go back and add your location to your profile.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If she insist on the old fashion style with 2 handles not a sinlge lever she's going to cut the choises down by at least 75%, even more if you weed out the cheap plastic ones. Were going though this very same thing at my house right now.
Is your plan to run the pipes through an unheated attic?
Still trying to figure out why your supply would not be coming from below instead of above like I belive your suggesting.
I suggest you also go back and add your location to your profile.
Sorry didn't see the location option at sign up. I'm in Houston attic is pretty hot most of the year round. Although I will be insulating the piping.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

Why not go with Pex instead, it would be way, way faster and cost a heck of a lot less then copper.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why not go with Pex instead, it would be way, way faster and cost a heck of a lot less then copper.
I've no need to be cheap in my piping or quick either. I'd like to get it done, but I'm in no rush. Many people are still using copper. And I'm sure when galvenized piping came on the market the same question was probably asked...Why not use galvenized instead of copper it's way cheaper etc. And look what happened!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

Got that backwards, galvinized was first, it all started rusting causing leaks and the insides pluged up.
Pex has been around a long time, and was used in europe long before here.
I'd bet at least 50% of all new homes in the past 10 years have been done with it.