Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Share |

Galvanized pipe fitting

I am trying to understand how galvanized pipe fitting works a bit more since that is what my house has and I have not had issues with water pressure yet. I have old valves in my basement for each run of pipe that goes upstairs to the kitchen, bathrooms etc. These valves are not ball valves and since they are probably original some probably could be replaced. If you want to removed something in the middle of a galvanized pipe run can you just unthread it or do I have to cut it out? Just unsure if it was standard practice to be able to remove any section of pipe by unscrewing it in place or if you always had to cut the section out.

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #2

Galvanized pipe fitting

Answered my own question. Found out I would need to cut pipe and add a union.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Galvanized pipe fitting

As soon as you can afford it get rid of all of it and replace with Pex and all ball valves.
All steel pipe at some time is going to rust out right where the threads are, it's going to leak, close up on the insides, leave rust on your fixtures.
Gate valve over time will not shut completely off because of trash filling up the grove where the gate closes, the stems can break off inside the valve, the stems leak.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #4

Galvanized pipe fitting

If I could pull a permit myself to replace the plumbing I would. Currently I am not allowed to pull a permit in the city I live in as a home owner.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

Galvanized pipe fitting

Very unusual rules there in Milwaukee.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Galvanized pipe fitting

Yeah, I contacted my alderman about the rules and I guess the thinking is requiring a master plumber is that things will stay in better repair instead of home owners just doing things them self. I kind of feel the opposite is probably occurring. Now home owners that don't want to pay a plumber will just do repairs without telling the city and avoid the inspection. Home owners can do minor things like replacing a faucet, toliet etc, but not repiping.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Galvanized pipe fitting

I think your thinking is correct. I find that homeowners who do pull permits more then willing to call us{Plumbing Inspector} in for a consultation. They usually do it right and have few problems. I have great respect for those folks.

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote