Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #1

Share |

Full bathroom renovation - bath to shower

In demolition phase of a full bathroom renovation - 1950s home. Changing bathtub to standing shower using schluter system. Have run into some issues.

First off - old subflooring is warped. Thinking of using 3/4" plywood to replace old t&g boards and then putting cement backer board down. Schluter system over the backer board in shower area and tile over backer board in remaining area. Do I need more than that? Have read recommendations in some cases for 3/4" subfloor and then another level of plywood over that.

Second - Copper water lines in the floor curve over the framing and then into the wall - the old tub had space underneath to run the lines. It seems I need to run the water lines fully under the floor and into the wall through the framing which would require drilling through a floor joist and then through the 2x4 frame - not sure of any other way. If this is the only method, I thought it would be easier to use PEX. Is it crazy to use PEX to copper with sharkbite fittings under a tiled shower?

Third - Old tub drain is 1 1/2", by code need to go to 2" but can't find the 2" connection under the floor. The old copper pipe ties in to a vent pipe and runs down the floor toward the sink. It is T'ed toward the sink (still looks like 1 1/2"). The other end of the T is most likely from the bathtub in an adjacent bathroom. I have only uncovered the old bathtub side of the floor but will eventually uncover the toilet and vanity side. I suppose I will need to remove everything to get a better look, but any opinions/ideas are welcome. Also, I am not sure what pipe material is best to use for the shower drain once I am able to discern the correct run of the pipes. So what pipe should I use?

Thanks, this is my first time, maybe that's obvious from my thread.

Dedalus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

1. I don't think you need backer board under the schluter base...overkill. If the system is done correctly, it better not get wet...

2. Is the area underneath (the basement?) accessible or a finished room with drywall ceiling? Either way, I'd sweat a copper-->pex adapter, and skip the sharkbite.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Thanks for your input.

Ok, so no backer board under the schluter base, but subfloor + backer board under the tile.

The bathroom is on the 2nd floor, so no access underneath. Sweating copper to PEX adapter sounds good. I have used PEX in an outdoor shower easily and cleanly, but am a little reluctant to use inside walls that will be tiled over. Do PEX adapters have a shorter expected life than copper fittings?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

I'm not a plumbing expert, but for what it's worth, I would have no problem with pex inside a wall, and I think most experts on this board (i said most) would agree.

If you're not comfortable with that, then just use copper for the parts inside the wall.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Tileguy

All of the new houses and remodels I have worked on during the past four years have used PEX exclusively.

In fact...there are a lot less fittings to leak and worry about.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

Gradually answering the questions above from various sources...

1. Going to use Advantech 3/4" under shower with Schluter system above. Going to use Advantech 3/4" with cement backer board for areas with tile.

2. Going to sweat copper-to-PEX fitting to existing hot/cold lines and notch the joist/framing to pull the PEX up to the Moentrol fitting.

3. Going to use 2" PVC for shower drain P and piping to go under the floor toward the vanity. Need to learn more about connecting PVC to existing copper and other pipes. Still uncovering the best place to connect the PVC to a 2" line - hoping it is under the sink.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus9 View Post
Gradually answering the questions above from various sources...

1. Going to use Advantech 3/4" under shower with Schluter system above. Going to use Advantech 3/4" with cement backer board for areas with tile.

2. Going to sweat copper-to-PEX fitting to existing hot/cold lines and notch the joist/framing to pull the PEX up to the Moentrol fitting.

3. Going to use 2" PVC for shower drain P and piping to go under the floor toward the vanity. Need to learn more about connecting PVC to existing copper and other pipes. Still uncovering the best place to connect the PVC to a 2" line - hoping it is under the sink.
Use a shielded transition coupling when you connect plastic to copper drains
Attached Images

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote