Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

Frozen Water In Pvc

Hello,
Can a pvc pipe partially filled with water and vented, break if the water freezes?

rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Frozen Water In Pvc

It can, depending on the level of the water (% of fill).

Why is there water in a pipe if it used for drainage? If it is for supply, it would not be vented and it would be filled.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Frozen Water In Pvc

^^^What he said.^^^
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #4

Frozen Water In Pvc

I am trying to come up with ideas to divert water from my downspouts to a drainage ditch 65 feet away. The grading is in the direction of the ditch. At this time, I have a temporary fix by placing a 2 foot by 2-1/2 foot by 5 inch deep tray under the downspout. I placed a little giant pool pump in it and connected 5/8th water lines and it is able to keep up with the water flow from the downspouts. But in a heavy downpour, the 5/8th water line may not handle it. With the present arrangement, I am getting 300 gph flow. But I want to try to eliminate the pump and use a gravity flow from the downspout by connecting a plumbing fittings to it and using 1 inch or 1-1/2 inch pvc or npvc. The smallest adapter that I seen at home centers is a 2 by 3 inch square by 3 inch round. I will place the drainage piping between two rows of patio blocks that will be flush with the soil and the pipe will be flush with the blocks. This will run about 12 feet to a fence and then a 90 degree turn towards the drainage ditch without patio blocks. I do not think I will need to use pvc cement on the fittings because any residual leakage will not be noticeable.

Some may ask why not do it the right way and have the drainage pipe buried. Well I have three contractors lined up to do work for me and after that, I will be tapped out financially and I need to do something myself that can be done in one day. Maybe in the future, I may consider it.

I am also considering using a 7 to 8 foot length of 3 or 4 inch pipe at the gutter drain with a cap on the bottom and this will sit on a patio block. Then this will be secured to a 4 by 4 that is supporting my patio roof. Then I can place a saddle fitting on the pipe and attach the necessary fittings to it. I can also attach a bleeder valve on the bottom of the pipe if I slightly elevate the pipe above the patio block.
This is why I was concerned about residual water freezing in this pipe. The bleeder valve will take care of it.
The rest of the plumbing will not have pvc cement and this will allow me disconnect any part of it, if need be.
If freezing weather affects my plans, then I'll just use this setup 9 months a year.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #5

Frozen Water In Pvc

Never mind all,
I cannot be sure my idea will work in a heavy downpour. I decided to re-direct the flow to the side of my house towards the front lawn and using the correct 2 by 3 inch pipe.
The topsoil in my rear yard has a lot of decomposed pine needles mixed in with it and is soft underfoot and acts like sponge. Then when the dogs play in the yard, the largest one tears it up making it look like a racetrack. If the soil was much firmer, I do not think I would have this problem.
Anyways, I have a contractor coming to grade the yard and this hopefully will satisfy me. If not, then I will run the 2 by 3 inch pipe as stated.