Frozen Pipes From Well? What Do Do? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Frozen pipes from well? What do do?

It's single digits outside here in Connecticut and we awoke to find that there is no water at all coming from the single lever kitchen or bathroom taps when opened in the cold position, but there is water coming out when the hot water side is turned on. Any advice on what might be done? I "assume" the pipe from the well to the house might be frozen, cutting off our cold water supply, but it's obviously underground and 150' long, so no way to check that. I read we should open the cold water tap to reduce pressure in the pipe. True? I assume we just have to wait to see if it thaws out? Can well installers or plumbers somehow heat the pipe from within the house?

Advertisement

Last edited by tpagel; 01-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

If you're getting "normal" flow from the hot water in all faucets in the house: Then you're well is working and pumping water. Your problem is that a cold water line is frozen after your main water feed line from the well enters the home. This could be in an exterior wall where the piping is not insulated sufficiently. Leaving all cold water taps open within the home would be a good idea as long as someone is home. This is just in case the frozen plug within the pipe somewhere starts to thaw just a bit, then some water can flow to remove the rest of the frozen plug of ice. Once all cold water is running fine, then close off all taps. BUT- you need to find where your cold water line is exposed to cold temps enough to freeze it. As I stated, I'm betting that this is within an exterior wall and needs the piping needs insulating or more insulation.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 502

X2...Go in the basement and see if there's a hose bib where the water comes in from the well.
Open that up just enough to see if you have water coming into the house.
If not, it's frozen outside.

If it's frozen in the house, it's typically a pipe on an outside wall or an air leak blowing on a pipe near the foundation/framing intersection.

Trace the path of the pipes. Look around in the basement.
Do you have a suspended ceiling somewhere that the pipes run through?
Do you have a cold spot in the basement?

Hairdryer
Open your cabinet doors

Been there.............
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. House is slab on grade, so no basement checking possible. The bathroom is the first room on the plumbing loop after the well and the toilet fills after flushing, so I am guessing the well connection is OK. The plumbing is in an outside wall and I KNOW the house is not insulated very well, so that is probably the problem. I am hooking up a space heater in the bathroom to bring the room temp up, and hopefully that might thaw the wall cavity a bit. Fingers crossed! Thanks again for your insights.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Moving the single lever faucet handle for EACH faucet (in the kitchen and the bathroom) from the cold water position toward the middle yields nothing at the far right, and a small trickle of water which increases in pressure as the lever moves to the middle. When the trickle first appears, it is on the cold water side of the middle, but the water is quite hot. Is this some sort of a valve problem too maybe? I could see one faucet having this problem, but both simultaneously??
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
but both simultaneously??
Naw, you have Frozen Pipes, not frozen faucets...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Many thanks! Heated up the bathroom, which is the first room coming off the well pressure tank, and whose plumbing is in the outside wall, to about 80 degrees with a space heater. Water started flowing an hour or so later! I really appreciate all the comments and insight.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

@ tpagel--Glad you have the problem solved with NO broken pipes. Now keep that bath wall at a temp to prevent this from happening again until: You can open up the wall from the inside, see what you need to do as far as insulation, or extra insulation on the piping for next winter. When you move the faucet handle to the middle position you are probably getting some "cross-over" from the hot water side. Nothing wrong with the faucets. Now-go take a hot shower and pat yourself on the back.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote