DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Frozen Pipes? Plugged pipes?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  brokenhammer 
#1 ·
I have an issue with the hot water supply pipes in a slab home.
The home is occupied and the cold water flows freely to all faucets and the tub. The hot water only flows out at one location, the washing machine, which is much closer to the water tank and in the opposite direction of the other hookups. I suspect the hot water water T's and part goes to the washer and the other part of the T supplies the rest of the house. The supplies run along an exterior wall at some point. There is no evidence of any burst pipes. Is it possible for a hot pipe to freeze and not burst? The pipes are both behind a wall and they do not run side by side. I did run some water out the drain in the water heater and it was plenty hot..... Any ideas? Anyone seen something like this before?

thanks

#4 ·
Pipes

Whats the temp outside? Sounds like it could be just frozen then. I wont burst right away but, its an time bomb if this is the case. Its possible that you had a major encrustation collapse after the washer with does happen but only over time. Did it happen just like quick or have you not used it for a short while.

#6 ·
stupid question, but have to ask..Did you check the stops at the faucet and made sure the hot is on. If yes, then hot pipes will freeze they should all be insulated at exterior walls and unheated space. Pex will actually freeze and expand with the swelling of the ice, wich is not likely with coppe

#7 ·
what KIND oif pipe and how far the run??

Plus how cold it it there now?? Like general area?? Where ya from??

IF you can get easily to a big water line,,,not a 1/4 inch faucet line,,,you can pass a small copper tube down a straight run to freeze area,,if a mess might keep the wet vac running.

Can you insulate this pipe without tearing down half the house?? Even drilling drywall and squirting in foam??(depending on your temp, outside, answer!!)

#8 ·
Yes. It has been pretty cold. I'm in St. Louis. The line is copper.
I didn't know pex would expand and would potentially be more durable under these conditions. It's supposed to get a little warmer tomorrow, so hopefully I've weathered the storm for a little while..... the downside of all of this is that it's in an occupied rental home.....
thanks for the tips.... i guess I'll spray some insulation behind the wall next time I'm there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.