Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |
Question

frost hydrant installation

i just hooked my shed's frost hydrant into water supply 3 ft under and have not backfilled yet. when testing, i noticed that it has a small release vent in the bottom to release residue water after it is shut off. so, before i backfill, my question is should the area around the bottom of the hydrant where it connects to the pipe be GRAVEL instead of DIRT so that the water has more empty spaces around gravel pieces to drain through ? seems like the perfect choice, just wanted to confirm.

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i just hooked my shed's frost hydrant into water supply 3 ft under and have not backfilled yet. when testing, i noticed that it has a small release vent in the bottom to release residue water after it is shut off. so, before i backfill, my question is should the area around the bottom of the hydrant where it connects to the pipe be GRAVEL instead of DIRT so that the water has more empty spaces around gravel pieces to drain through ? seems like the perfect choice, just wanted to confirm.

thanks
I usually use river rock, and I wrap it in plastic so that dirt can't work its way in over time

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

Question

but gravel should be fine, no ?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #4

yea i think it would, just make sure there isn't a lot of dirt or fine material in it, and wrap plastic around it all to keep dirt and roots out
The Following User Says Thank You to the_man For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #5

gravel is the best, i use it all the way to the surface. make sure that there is nothing close to that vent hole to plug it. i usually fachion some bricks or rocks around the hole to keep anything from getting close, then backfill.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #6

I don't use gravel, I've always worried about it compacting too much and not working after a few years. I would imagine if you use it all the way to the surface you might not have that problem, but thats a bit overkill for me.