DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   frost free faucet - cannot turn on (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/frost-free-faucet-cannot-turn-100352/)

terrealta 04-02-2011 08:56 PM

frost free faucet - cannot turn on
 
I have a brand new house. I have a sillcock frost free faucet installed and wanted to turn on to wash car. \does not have any flow. Cannot figure how to turn on ..turn all the way on,,nothing happens....been working on this now hours with no success...any one who can help....never tried this before,,,desparate

VIPlumber 04-02-2011 10:02 PM

What kind is it? Do you have a pic you could post?

terrealta 04-02-2011 10:24 PM

i think this is it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VIPlumber (Post 622098)
What kind is it? Do you have a pic you could post?

BII 0865-120

http://randolphindustrialsupplies.co...%20Faucets.pdf

I believe this is the one, found by google # on tap

tcleve4911 04-03-2011 07:42 AM

Is there a shut-off valve inside the house?
Many plumbers isolate hose bibs this a shut-off valve.

terrealta 04-03-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcleve4911 (Post 622190)
Is there a shut-off valve inside the house?
Many plumbers isolate hose bibs this a shut-off valve.

not that i can see, runs direct of header

Wildie 04-03-2011 02:33 PM

These frost free faucets have a long stem with a standard washer and seat at the end.
The washer can be replaced from time to time, if they become worn out.

To change a washer, the hex head is unscrewed, and the stem drawn out.

If you loosen the hex head, water should start to run when the stem is removed.
If it doesn't run, it means that the water supply isn't reaching the valve.

Keep in mind that if there is water to the valve, it will squirt all over the place, so be ready to tighten it back up if you don't want to get soaked yourself!

firehawkmph 04-03-2011 02:58 PM

Some of the frost proof faucets have a spring loaded washer and seat arrangement. When they sit for awhile in the closed position, they may stick together and not release when you turn the handle. I would shut off the water at the main shutoff if you don't see a separate shutoff for this hosebib and then take the handle and stem out. Check the washer and make sure it's not melted or deformed and then put it back together and see if it works ok then.
Mike Hawkins:)

terrealta 04-03-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawkmph (Post 622467)
Some of the frost proof faucets have a spring loaded washer and seat arrangement. When they sit for awhile in the closed position, they may stick together and not release when you turn the handle. I would shut off the water at the main shutoff if you don't see a separate shutoff for this hosebib and then take the handle and stem out. Check the washer and make sure it's not melted or deformed and then put it back together and see if it works ok then.
Mike Hawkins:)

I took out the stem, yes it had a sping at the end, yes. I put it back together again, both with my main water shut off on and off....no water seems to be getting to this tap.. I'm completely puzzled...It's the weekend and I wanted to wash the car..looks like I'll have to wait to call the installing plumber....I have no idea what's up !

tcleve4911 04-03-2011 04:28 PM

Let us know when you find out.....:yes:

firehawkmph 04-03-2011 06:18 PM

Terre,
There has to be a shutoff somewhere along the line. Start by your main shutoff and work your way over to the hosebib and see if you can find it.
The only other thing I can think of is if the plumber forgot to tie in that section of the plumbing, but I can't say I ever saw that happen. When I was building new homes during the 90's and early 2000's, I would go around and turn on each faucet and flush all the toilets etc., just to make sure they worked and didn't leak, before the owner's took possession of the house. And in many cases, the inspector would do the same during the final inspection.
Mike Hawkins:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved