DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   French Drain (

tullstar 10-02-2006 05:29 PM

French Drain
Hi everyone:

I have a question regarding a french drain. I have had SEVERAL companies provide me with estimates and most of them have different opinions and recommendations on which kind of pipe to use.

So, what kind of piping do you guys suggest? PVC? Black corrugated?

Any additional suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

FYI- I have never had a french drain installed in my house before.


majakdragon 10-03-2006 05:47 AM

A lot depends on what "type" water you are running in it. If it has any solids in it (washing machine drain etc) corrugated has ridges that can fill up and start a clog. I prefer PVC, if for no other reason, ease of cleaning should a clog happen.

Sellncars 10-03-2006 08:26 PM


I just had a sump system put in my home 3 weeks ago. They dug up the concrete the length of the house and 13 feet to the front. They dug a 3 ft deep hole for the sump. In the longer channels they used corragated pipe ontop of crushed stone, then they cemented over the top. They of course ran the PVC from the pump up the wall and outside. The whole job took them 5 1/2 hours and they charged me $3750.00. The company had 4 guys working, maybe $500.00 in material, i figured with labor and parts, the Company itself made roughly $580.00 and Hr. That's good money and money well spent here. They also guarantee it 100%. New carpet is covered.

Good luck,

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1