Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Freezing pipe outside with sump pump

Hi all. I am having a problem with my sump pump line freezing in the winter. My pump line is 1 1/2 pvc exiting the house and then I just use 1 1/2 if the thin black flexible pipe from HD that runs from 2 feet past the house to the rear of the property. The problem is the run is about 70 feet long as I run it all the way to the back of the property so it can go right into the storm drain. The lawn is pitched down but not a huge pitch. Cause the pitch is not very steep, the water is a little slow to drain out. A vacuum forms due to the long run. After a couple of these cold nights, the line will start to freeze. Is there a vacuum breaker out there that I can use on 1 1/2 pvc or some way to up some pvc with 90 elbows or something so I can break this vacuum and get the water to move faster??

handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Whatamess

You might can use a san"tee" 90 AAV (Air Admittance Valve) and vent the PVC where it exits the house.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #3

just a thought, using flex hose is going to cause a long drag on the water, leaving water in all those grooves to freeze up, might want to try solid pipe for quicker movement of the water. Any pitch at all should empty the pipe out quicker.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #4

That was my thought too. Just gotta wait for the temp to go back up so I can glue it up. Is that available at Home Depot or another big box store?? Also, do you think that will freeze up eventually?? I mean at the 90 joint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
You might can use a san"tee" 90 AAV (Air Admittance Valve) and vent the PVC where it exits the house.

Last edited by handyflyer; 11-22-2008 at 09:11 AM.
handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you go with solid pipe, the water will drain much better than the wrinkled pipe. You want the water from the dump (at least 55 degrees) to get away and not let it sit around to cool and then possibly freeze.

Make sure the pipe slope is uniform with no low spots. Ant bellies will always lead to problems.

If you can, make sure the discharge end is not out in the open. If you have the luxury of enough depth discharging into a rock fill. If not, just some straw will help to keep the discharge protected and open. If not, pray for snow since that is great insulation and keeps the heat from the soil below from escaping. I have seen -50F temps where the soil down a couple of inches was not frozen because of the undisturbed snow cover.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #6

we used 4" s & d pvc w/gravity drain,,, 1/4" drip in 10' should be good,,, as dick posted, ' pipe slope is uniform ' makes the best drain.
yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

and IF you can get the pipe buried even a foot under GOOD grass,,thats wonderful insulation too. the warmer ground water makes a good warmer. non exposed pipe would be MUCH better option,,and easier to mow over. I used to have identical pipe buried even a few inches and it never froze. BIGGEST problem is to dig it in by hand,dont disturb soil under line so it settles backward slope!!! Biggest probs I had with underground pipe is somebody dug 3 foot deep,,,needed 2 foot and they threw a foot of 'loose' dirt underneath and THAT part settles,making rest of system BAD!!!

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote