Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Freeze protecting garden hose

I need to protect 400' of exterior garden hose from freezing. I thought about heat taping and insulating the hose but am worried about the performance of the heat tape over such a long distance. I've found heat tape available on-line that comes in spools of 300'. My other concern is the overall amperage draw over 400'. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this issue?

mstadros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

Ayuh,.... Shut it off, unhook it, 'n drain it....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks but that's my last option. The hose is feeding a separate apartment on the property. The well for the apartment, or the line running to the well, is no longer working and won't be addressed until next year. I need a solution which will keep the hose running.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

Well real life stinks, but if you do not want to fix it right it's just going to freeze. Even a 3/4" garden hose at that lenght is not enough to supply enough water for a whole apartment.
With a ditch witch it's a one day job to replace that line correctly.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

In theory, yes. Unfortunately, the well is about 30 years old and about 500' past the tree-line into the woods which now, 30 years later, is extremely overgrown with massive trees and, presumably, thick root systems. Offers from local well experts range up to $7000 at which point you might as well dig a new well. Just as unfortunate is that it is not a lack of will keeping us from fixing it right but a lack of financing.

Right now the hose is hooked up to the well system for the main house (post pressure tanks) and feeds a jet pump feeding a pressure tank for the apartment and has been working well for months.

If it wasn't for the fact that we want to fix the well for the apartment in spring I would dig a trench to the main house. But to do that just for the winter seems like an additional expenses which could be avoided.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

You're running the risk of overtaxing the existing well, which was probably never intended to support two units. If that hose breaks (and it will when it freezes) you will now have the well running continuously.

About all you can do is to bury the hose, maybe after you wrap it in some plastic or a larger hose. Even then, your chances of the hose freezing are excellent.

You can't leave it with a hose forever. I say bite the bullet and run a real line.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 674

Here's the perfect solution http://www.amazon.com/PIRIT-H50-50-F...3651836&sr=1-3 but it's expensive.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

I owned a self-serve carwash and all the hoses (high and low pressure) ran in a long metal box (with a lid) on the roof. The first year i owned it, it froze up solid and i had to shut it down for two days while i got everything thawed out.

Vowing not to let that happen again (ya don't make any money closed down), i went to Grainger and bought a 100 ft long cord heater, placed it in the metal box, wrapped everything up together with insulation, cable tied it all good and snug,put the lid back on, flipped the switch and never had another problem with it. It was 110v and plugged in to a normal plug. Never got hot, just warm to the touch. Sorry i don't remember the brand name but it worked very well. And i think they come in lengths longer than 100 ft but i'm not sure. Best i remember, it was around 60 bucks then, and that was around 11 years ago.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 12-11-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote