Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Freeze Proof garden spigot replacement

I have a freeze proof garden hose spigot in my garage. I have a townhome and the garden hose is located inside the garage. There is a small plastic cap on top of the valve that I presume is a breather type valve. My problem is when I turn on the handle, water leaks out from this breather valve until the handle is fully open, at which point there is no leaking.

I figured I would simply replace the entire spigot with a new one. The spigot assembly goes into two layers of drywall. I removed the drywall and can see that the pipe goes through a hole drilled in a wood beam or 2x4.

Can I assume this spigot has a threaded connection where I can remove it? I can't see into the connection so I am not sure. The whole assembly is loose enough telling me it is connected to loose pipe or possibly copper pipe. When I say loose, I mean the unit can move up and down and side to side slightly.

If it is connected to a copper pipe fitting, then I am afraid unscrewing the spigot without holding the other end may cause something to break, and then I am screwed.

I have the main water off. Do you have any suggestions on moving forward before I have to call a plumber? I guess I could break open the drywall to inspect further, but that would mean more work. For now just trying to get some feedback from anyone who has done this before or can share any suggestions.

Thanks

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

The spigot could be soldered or threaded. If it is moving, then the opening of the connection may drop out of sight when you remove the spigot. I would remove more drywall until you can see what type connection you have.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

I cut a hole on the side wall to get a better visual of where and how the spigot is connected. The attached pictures shows the spigot tube behind the 2x4. The male threads on the right are the actual spigot. I was hoping this was threaded into a female fitting. It looks like it is soldered in place. Can these spigots be soldered like this????

I guess I could open up the drywall and completely remove the old spigot. I was thinking of soldering a female threaded adapter onto the existing copper water line and then just thread a new spigot assembly in place.

Since I have to open up more drywall and take the necessary precautions to shield the heat and flame of the torch, I want to explore another possibility.

I see that the anti-siphon pieces can be replaced. Of course I will have to find a supply shop or order online. The spigot is marked "Mansfield."

Before I knew this much, I did try turning the faucet with a pipe wrench, barely turned a 1/4-turn and there was too much resistance when I said to stop. Could I have caused any more damage????
Attached Thumbnails
Freeze Proof garden spigot replacement-img00041-20100411-1742.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

thats a good place for a sharkbite coupling if you can cut the pipe cleanly
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

The sharkbite coupling may work and I am going to look into this as the quickest fix.

If not, does anyone see any issue with heating the spigot inlet where it meets the copper pipe to un-solder and remove the spigot assembly?

I figure at that point I could either re-solder a new spigot assembly, or solder a copper threaded connection to allow a new spigot to be threaded in place. If this is the solution...then does anyone have a preference to soldering the copper pipe directly to the spigot, or using a threaded fitting instead?

I have soldering copper pipe and fittings before and feel OK doing this...however I haven't removed old fittings and re-installed new ones. Are there any issues with heating the pipe to remove old soldered fittings?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #6

takes alot of heat, watch the fingers. plus you will need to heat and remove left over solder to get new piece to fit. sometimes you can flux the old and new part then apply heat, then when old solder is molten slip the new piece in place, got to be quick
Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

I agree with what you have stated. I know people love the Sharkbite fittings, but to me, they are still a compression fitting. Putting one inside a wall is not a good idea.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #8

You could just replace the vacuum break parts on the hose faucet. what brand is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Chaos Engineer

What this guys said^^^^^^^

They make repair kits for these kinds of things. You can fix everything from the outside. Including the anti siphon valve (the round cap on the top of the faucet).

Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote