Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Foundation cracks drain tile

I own a house that has several foundation cracks in the unfinished basement. Because of these cracks my basement takes in a good amount of seepage. I had a large company in Chicago come out and they said the best way to fix the problem is to put epoxy in the cracks and do drain tile. I had another company come in and say that the cracks can't be filled from the inside because the previous owner attempted to patch theses cracks using concrete and therefore As you chip away to get to the crack, dust will fill into the crack and the epoxy will not seal the cracks properly. The second company said the only way to fix this problem is to fill the cracks from the outside, which is way more expensive or do the drain tile only. My worry with the drain tile only is that water will continue to come through the cracks and true it won't get to the floor it will go to the drain tile , but what happens if the wall remains damp, will I get mold?? And can the cracks be filled properly from the inside even though they have the cement seal on there already that is clearly not working?

fiveoh018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #2

A budget minded fix(but not the best fix)would be to buy a crack chaser mount in a 4" grinder and open up the crack,than clean it and let it dry.

go to a concrete supply house and buy some butyle caulking or what ever is the best product on the market

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

You can certainly try to seal cracks from the inside. They need to be clean, which typically means that you vacuum out the dust after you enlarge them slightly.

However, you are likely to be disappointed if you expect that sealing the cracks will prevent water intrusion. Typically concrete has many cracks, some small, some large, and it is difficult to seal them all, so often if you seal one the water comes in through another.

Installation of the drain will work if the drain is properly designed and installed, and the drain outlet is well away from your house. This may require a pump. Installation of a drain system is often difficult and expensive as a retrofit. There are numerous threads discussing drain installation in this forum, check them out for some good reading on how to design and install a perimeter drain system.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Tileguy

The only way to fix this is to install a waterproof exterior cladding. Dig up the outside down to the footings. Apply a waterproofing adhesive, apply a sheet membrane, then apply a top coat of waterproofing. The drain would be a good idea in addition to the exterior cladding.

You will not close the cracks permanently from the inside.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote