Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Share |

Foul smell from soil pipe?

I live in a 3-storey house with 4 bathrooms. Recently I started noticing a quite unpleasant smell in the bathrooms on the 1st and 2nd floors. It seems to be coming from the toilet but, as we do keep our toilets and bathrooms very clean, the only likely source of that smell must be the soil pipe behind. Is it a signal to me that I need smth checked/cleaned/flushed? How do I deal with this? Is it likely to be a big problem requiring a complete overhaul of the piping, or can it be done quite economically? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

abaminog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #2

You'll need to check for leaks that let sewer gas into the house. Like the floor settled causing the wax seal under the toilet to lose contact either with the toilet or with the flange. Or the oakum seal between sections of soil pipe deteriorating or cracking. Or maybe a rat got trapped somewhere in the floor or wall and died there.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #3

I agree with AllanJ. The odor is probably sewer gas, and the only way it can enter the room is by a bad wax seal or a broken pipe.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Military Mom of 4

My thoughts, too - it's better to check or replace the little things, first - because they need to be replaced, anyway, after a long while of use. . . and if that doesn't take care of it then move onto the more costly or intensive things.