Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foul Sewege Smell !!!!

I have just bought a house, and the downstairs bathroom has a sewege smell to it. The house has been vacant for 2 months so I don't know if that is the issue, or if something else needs to be done. I have done a little research and have found some solutions of pouring bleach, or vinegar.

Any comments or solutions to this issue?

thanks

boilingPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Foul Sewege Smell !!!!

Try running water in all sinks,tubs,toilets air it out and see if it returns. Maybe it is coming up a trap that lost water.

Gary

Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Foul Sewege Smell !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_602z View Post
Try running water in all sinks,tubs,toilets air it out and see if it returns. Maybe it is coming up a trap that lost water.

Gary

thanks for your reply, I turned the fan on and flushed the toilet a couple times. its a .5 of a bathroom so its just toilet and sink. Is there a solution I can buy to flush down???
boilingPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 516

Foul Sewege Smell !!!!

sink,put water in the sink trap. Is there a laundry area in basement? put water in that too,,,ALL vacant houses are subject to traps drying out
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Foul Sewege Smell !!!!

It could be just the residual odor from the traps being dried out. Now that you have ran water and filled them, it should go away. You could pour some bleach down the overflow tube of the toilet to remove any odor that may be built up in the toilet rim. Don't pour it in the tank though since it may damage rubber parts. If you notice odor when running water in the sink, it could be bacteria growing in the overflow. The sink is double walled to allow overflow water to go to the drain and sometimes it can harbor mold or bacteria. For this problem, use the stopper in the sink, pour in a cup of bleach and slowly (to prevent splashing) add water to the sink. Let it run until you no longer smell bleach. This will clean inside the sinkwalls. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Foul Sewege Smell !!!!

My money would be on the above answers also, dry traps from non use is probably the biggest offender in this kind of situation but to ad to the list of possibilities would be the toilet seal. The wax ring could be dried out from age or could be corrupted from floor work or environmental factors found in a basement. If all else fails you could check to make sure the bowl is tightly attached to the floor, try sitting on it and see if it rocks. If it rocks carefully tighten the attachment bolts evenly alternating from one to the next. Too much could crack the base. If it is not rocking and all the other solutions havent worked and the smell continues you may have to remove the bowl and replace the wax ring.

faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote