Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #1

Share |

Foul odor!!!

Hello all,
We need a little help please.
I've been living in my house for quite a few years now and many times when
we turn on the water to the kitchen sink, a foul odor come up. It only happens at the kitchen sink and it is definitely not the supply water. The garbage disposal has been replaced a few times over the years and we are very good at making sure it is clean. The p-trap is clean as well. All of the drain lines and vent lines are also in very good shape. The smell doesn't appear every time, but enough to be an annoyance. I've run a little bleach down the line to disinfect it once in awhile but I really do not like to put poisons down the drain. It almost appears as though the odor is siphoned up.
Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you,
/Scott

skooterpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Foul odor!!!

Sounds like you have a partial clog in the vent. Kitchens frequently have a separate, smaller vent pipe sticking out of the roof over the kitchen sink area.
Check it for visible debris. If there is debris down in the vent pipe that you can't reach, you may have to snake it. In either case, flush it down with a water hose sprayer.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Foul odor!!!

Quote:
and it is definitely not the supply water.
Ayuh,.......

Is this from a Well, or a Public Water System,..??....

What Exactly does this smell, Smell Like,..??..??....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #4

Foul odor!!!

Public water system. It sort of smells like the sewer----FOUL!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Building and plumbing

Foul odor!!!

may want to see if you have a trap under the sink to start with. The water trap traps sewer gas so it will not back up into the house. if you do not have one, you should get one and possibly one with an air admittance valve.

Last edited by USP45; 12-17-2007 at 07:03 PM.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #6

Foul odor!!!

I've always found baking soda and vinegar (the stuff used to make science fair volcanoes!) works well to rid your lines of small clogs AND odours...

Put about 1/4 cup of baking soda into the drain, then add about 1/2 cup vinegar (slowly)... repeat if desired once you've flushed the first batch away 5 minutes after it's been in action.
curls00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Building and plumbing

Foul odor!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curls00 View Post
I've always found baking soda and vinegar (the stuff used to make science fair volcanoes!) works well to rid your lines of small clogs AND odours...

Put about 1/4 cup of baking soda into the drain, then add about 1/2 cup vinegar (slowly)... repeat if desired once you've flushed the first batch away 5 minutes after it's been in action.
While this is a good thing for cleaning the drain, the cause must be attended to. Thats why I quit working for other people because their so called plumbers could unstop a drain, they never figured out what caused it and what could be done to remedy future problems. The problem here with sewer gas smell is that there is no trap, or there is a break in the sewer line below the sink. Unless the problem is diagnosed and fixed it will persist. Think of it this way, back in the 80's your points went out on your car, so you replace them. But how many people actually looked at the points? If the ground side was pitted, then you had to install a capacitor with a stronger capacity, if the positive side was pitted then you needed a capacitor with less capacity. This would enable many more miles out of the points than leaving the capacitor the way it was and replacing the points. point being, fix the problem, not the result of the problem.

Last edited by USP45; 12-18-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Foul odor!!!

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I do have a trap and I do have a clean vent, in fact I ran quite a bit of water down the vent tube with a pressure nozzle
recently. There seems to be no break in the waste line, I've even checked under the crawl space and everything seems to be intact. To reiterate, the smell only appears when we actually turn the faucet on,either hot or cold, and then only randomly. I agree with you, USP45, the cause of a problem must be found and addressed.
Again, thanks in earnest!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Building and plumbing

Foul odor!!!

OK, I'm glad of that. next thing is I done some plumbing in a town where all the water supply had sulpher in it. Smelled real bad. Installed a charcoal filter on the main line, stoped the smell. Maybe your smell could be comming from the hot water line out the water heater. If you find thats the problem you can install the filter on the outlet side of the water heater. A very cheap and DIY project with minimal tools or experience.