Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #1

Share |

forclosed house

I just bought a forclosed house. It was only 18,000 for 3bed 1bath 2 car garadge on 2 city lots i think i got a good deal i just have to redo all the pipe work. can anyone tell me the cheapest way to redo the kitchen sink, washer hookup,bath tub, bathroom sink, and toilet? i want cheap and easy if at all posible. and im getting different answers from everone i talk to. thanks!
alayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #2

forclosed house

cheap and easy...hmmmm
Jay123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

forclosed house

Haha i know and i got ditched i was saposed to have help to do it this weekend and now my help got told today he has to go up north to work for the weekend. so nevermind the cheap just easy. if at all possible
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #4

forclosed house

I'll wish ya luck...

I'm a carp., but just out of curiosity, what exactly are you wanting to do?

You say "pipe work", does that mean all plumbing? Is it polybutylene?

J
Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

forclosed house

right now its like the original pipes brass n copper in the whole house. and needless to say its from 1955 n the only thing in the whole house that dont leak it the bathtub! were yes i have washed dishes lol. I want all of it out and starting from each one taken back to the main water, and the main drain. im planning on useing pvc for the drains but the water pipes i dont know what to get, if i can use pvc and the washer hookup is small copper pipes, can i replace those with pvc?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #6

forclosed house

I think it depends; One thing is what are the lines materials? Copper, PVC, galvanized, cast iron -- are we talking supplies or wastes or both.

I would think if you know that the supply lines are broke in a lot of places just tear it all out of your way and put in new. What about the drains, just traps need replacement or lines too?

Or are you just talking fixtures?

Just thinking as I type, of course I myself am frugal (wife would say cheap) but it is your money that is being spent not mine

I am not sure what your market is like but around here you could not even come close to buying a lot for that money

Note you posted while I was posting --I would use copper for supply lines
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #7

forclosed house

You can do pretty much the whole house with little to no copper, but I'll let the plumbers chime in.

I will add, that if you don't have a good amount of plumbing experience, this sounds like a scope of work that may be best left to a pro.

I'm all for diy, but plumbing and electrical (especially on the scale you're contemplating) can be a dangerous undertaking for those without the know how...just my $.02

If ya screw up some crown moulding or a cabinet, you're not usually placing anyone in mortal danger.

J
Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

forclosed house

You want easy, you hire an experienced contractor to do the work. You want cheap, you do the work yourself, if you are experienced and competent. You want cheap and easy? Well, that sounds like the description of a few dates I went on in college, but other than that, I can't say I ever did a cheap and easy repair to my house.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #9

forclosed house

There are very specfic plumbing codes, venting etc
Are you up to date on all codes & how to lay out this plumbing?
Have you discussed w/Inspector ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Compulsive DIYer

forclosed house

I hate plumbing with a passion, but I'm too cheap to hire a pro. A few years ago I learned about PEX. It's cheap and easy to install. There are good internet resources that explain how to use it. I'm sure some of the Pro's out there have better opinions, but I cuss much less now than when I was using copper.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #11

forclosed house

Did you replace all the plumbing in your house? just curious.

J
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
DIY staff

forclosed house

Complete repipe job??

Listen to scuba Dave--Learn the codes and follow them. This is to expensive a job to screw up and have to rip it out and start over.

If PEX piping meets local code-consider using it for water lines. Copper is tried and true-there are two types of copper--the cheaper (red stripe) is for heating systems and will not meet code for plumbing.

Seriously,follow the codes--You will get caught now or later-Building inspector .now or home inspector when you sell.

Good luck-have fun--MIKE--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #13

forclosed house

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Complete repipe job??

Listen to scuba Dave--Learn the codes and follow them. This is to expensive a job to screw up and have to rip it out and start over.

If PEX piping meets local code-consider using it for water lines. Copper is tried and true-there are two types of copper--the cheaper (red stripe) is for heating systems and will not meet code for plumbing.

Seriously,follow the codes--You will get caught now or later-Building inspector .now or home inspector when you sell.

Good luck-have fun--MIKE--

I'd listen to J

Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
DIY staff

forclosed house

Jay---I was trying to be tactful --

Sometimes the best tool for the job is a TELEPHONE.--MIKE--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Household Handyman

forclosed house

Gee Dan--I never did know where my old high school sweety moved to after graduation. Boston are huh? "alayman"--I'm all for DIY also, within parameters. Your situation does indeed sound as if you should hire someone who knows more about plumbing for all of the work you vaguely describe. I'm with "Scuba_Dave" as far as code compliance goes. Maybe you could find a Licensed Plumber who would agree to "help" with this project and allow you to do a lot of the actual labor. YOU get to do your own work (somewhat), and with the plumber's knowledge (UH-OH) you should be in compliance and have less headaches later. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote