Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

Flushing Problems

Normally when I flush my toilet it fills to a certain level then flushes everything away. However, for the past few days as the water enters the toilet bowl, the water just flows down the drain, but it never empties out, and there is always something (toilet tissue/waste) left behind.
What could cause this?

Last edited by TerryDale; 08-21-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Much clearer discription of problem.
TerryDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #2

Flushing Problems

1. Toilet tank does not refill enough between flushes.

2. Tank to bowl stopper (flapper) in tank doesn't open far enough to get a fast enough flush down into the bowl.

3. Channels from tank to bowl, some of them tiny around the bowl rim, are clogged.

Does the toilet flush ok if you manually and quickly empty a bucket of water into the bowl? (1-1/2 gallons for a new toilet, 2 gallons for an old toilet)

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-23-2010 at 07:30 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Flushing Problems

No, it does the same thing. The water just flows down the drain. It doesn't fill to a certain point then siphon out like it should. The water flow from the tank is great. The water produces a vortex but just flows down the drain without the siphon action. And without the siphon action there is always tissue/waste left behind.

Last edited by TerryDale; 08-21-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: complete reply
Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Flushing Problems

sounds like there is an obstruction either in the toilet itself or the waste line after that. What it sounds like is happening to me is the water simply isn't being allowed to flow as fast as it should and as such, does not create the siphoning action needed to flush everything. If the water flow from the tank to the bowl is fine or it doesn't work when using a bucket or water, that is the only other thing I can think of that would cause this.

anybody lose a toothbrush lately?

GI Joe go for a swim?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Flushing Problems

Well I guess it is time to go diving....
I'll post my results. But before I disassemble anything I will buy new spud and assorted gaskets for a quick reassembly.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Flushing Problems

I removed the bowl from the floor, which allowed me to inspect the discharge and drain for any blockage. To my dismay there was no apparent blockage. The discharge section of the S siphon was discolored but nothing to harm flow. The drain was as clear as a drain should be.
I put the bowl in my car and took it to the coin car wash. While giving the bowl a thorough cleaning, I inserted the high pressure spray nozzle into the discharge side of the S siphon. This not only removed the discoloration but dislodged the problem.
There has been a 2 liter bottle of water in the flush tank (water conservation) for an unknown number of years. It was there when we bought the house. Well, the plastic name tag attached to water bottle fell off the bottle and was lodged it the supply side of the bowl. It was blocking the three water orifices closest to the spud.
AllanJ was correct with his diagnosis #3. Channels from tank to bowl, some of the tiny around the bowl rim, are clogged.
Thank you for all of your assistance.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #7

Flushing Problems

Aha, now I get it. One of the channels from tank to bowl goes around to the bottom of the bowl and shoots water horizontally out the drain path. This gets solids that settled to the bottom on their way out sooner. The overall behavior is not quite the same as simply emptying a bucketful of water into the bowl (gravity action only) and the bucketful by itself might not flush the toilet properly unless you used twice the amount of water the toilet tank normally lets out.

TerryDale (08-23-2010)