Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

flushed


i recently had a plumber install a toilet in my basement. the existing rough-in was 3 inch pipe. a 2x3 fit in flange was installed. the toilet (american standard one piece) that was installed has a really sluggish flush. the supplier claims the toilet should produce a good flush and that they've sold lots with no customer complaints. has the plumber made an error by installing a flange less than 3"

barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 219
Default

flushed


Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
i recently had a plumber install a toilet in my basement. the existing rough-in was 3 inch pipe. a 2x3 fit in flange was installed. the toilet (american standard one piece) that was installed has a really sluggish flush. the supplier claims the toilet should produce a good flush and that they've sold lots with no customer complaints. has the plumber made an error by installing a flange less than 3"
My understand is 3" flange in minimum for a toilet. Are you saying it reduces to 2" because it fits inside the 3" plumbing? I haven't heard good things about those fittings.


Last edited by psilva8; 01-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,647
Default

flushed


Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
i recently had a plumber install a toilet in my basement.
the existing rough-in was 3 inch pipe.
a 2x3 fit in flange was installed. <-- never used one

the supplier claims... (=yadda, yadda, yadda)
the toilet...has a really sluggish flush. (proof is in the pudding)

has the plumber made an error...?
Unless that toilet REQUIRES this adapter... Then, in my view... yes.
If it is REQUIRED then whoever chose the toilet made the error.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,247
Default

flushed


inside of 3"pipe measures about 2 7/8 to 3" if you insert a flange into that .IT IS TO SMALL FOR A TOILET TO FLUSH PROPERLY....SHOULD HAVE HAD A 3" HUB FLANGE INSTALLED....MAY NEEDED TO CHIP ALITTLE CONCRETE....LAZY LAZY LAZY
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,600
Default

flushed


And how is it vented?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,297
Default

flushed


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
inside of 3"pipe measures about 2 7/8 to 3" if you insert a flange into that .IT IS TO SMALL FOR A TOILET TO FLUSH PROPERLY....SHOULD HAVE HAD A 3" HUB FLANGE INSTALLED....MAY NEEDED TO CHIP ALITTLE CONCRETE....LAZY LAZY LAZY
never seen a 3 x 2 closet flange? A first for me… 3 x2 usually 3” pipe 2” deep. Inside hub or outside pipe. Who knows what that plumber did or maybe its just a defective toilet maybe from H/D
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,247
Default

flushed


maybe the plumber did nothing wrong???????
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default

flushed


called a plumbing supplier. flange is actually 2- 1/2 x 3. they claim that its acceptable for alberta, so i guess the plumber did his job right. maybe toilet is defective.
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,555
Default

flushed


Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
called a plumbing supplier. flange is actually 2- 1/2 x 3. they claim that its acceptable for alberta, so i guess the plumber did his job right. maybe toilet is defective.
Who supplied the toilet? You or the plumber?
What model is it?

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water level in toilet drops when another toilet is flushed target1911 Plumbing 9 09-12-2011 09:45 AM
Just flushed my hot water heater... Jason.W Plumbing 2 07-10-2011 08:43 PM
Shower noisy when toilet flushed joedadog Plumbing 3 04-27-2011 10:56 AM
Flushed water heater but no dirt came out? kwerk Plumbing 7 05-02-2010 05:51 PM
Toilet Leaks When Flushed - How to get at closet bend!! OldHouseNewProblem Plumbing 3 12-11-2008 06:24 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.