Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fluctuating well water pressure

My water in my house fluctuates. water will come on and then loose pressure till nothing comes out and then it comes back in full force and every time it happens at the base of the well water tank water spits out of a valve and then the gauges get real high again in pressure. Does anyone know what is causing this

Alex694718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Could be a defective pressure switch, or a broken pressure tank. There are many threads on this forum discussing how to test a pressure tank, I would start there. If the tank is bad (typical cause ruptured bladder), replace it, see if problem goes away. Then move on to testing the pressure switch. If the pressure tank and switch are OK, likely cause is a damaged pump.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

I had issues with this a couple years back. Probably have a bad pressure switch. Do you have a lot of sediment/iron in your water? If so, the switch may be fouled. You might also need a new PRV...when my pressure relief valve went, it never closed completely again. The parts are cheap (maybe $25) and its an easy fix.
silvajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

In addition to the pressure switch and PRV, I also had an issue with the bladder in the pressure tank. If your well pump is short cycling (cycling on and off every couple of seconds) after you replace the switch, the bladder may also be ruptured and the headspace full of water. Water does not compress as well as air, so the amount of time between the cut-in and cut-off pressure is much less. This causes your well pump to short cycle or even run constantly, which is a good way to burn it out and cost yourself a lot of money. You can temporarily relieve the stress on your pump by partially draining the tank and adding some air through the Schrader valve on top, but the pressure tank will need to be replaced (a bit more costly and involved than replacing the switch and PRV).

Good Luck!
silvajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #5

I will see how to check the switch first that may be the easiest way to start, thanks
Alex694718 is offline   Reply With Quote