Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fluctuating water pressure with clunking in pipes

Ever since I replaced the internal flush valves on the 3 toilets in the house, I have had instances of low water pressure that occurs after a flush, but also happens other times without reason. Also, I don't know if it's related but we have had a deep clunking in the water pipes occur even when there is no water running, but also happens occasionally when kitchen faucet turned on. Thought it might be the hot water heater at the kitchen end of the house, but have been in the storeroom when the clunk happens and it's not the waterheater. This is a 1 story concrete foundation house. I did have to replace an anti-siphon valve that was on a leaking exterior faucet outside that storeroom, but don't know if this is a culprit either. Does anyone have a clue what the problem is?

greenflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

If you have a pressure reducing valve it may be time to replace this.
it would be on the main line at or near your main shut off valve. these have internal parts that can be clogged or acting up this may need a plumber because this requires to be set at a certain pressure. when these go bad i have seen pressure go through the roof and i have seen it decline. The parts in the PRV can be loose and rattling inside of the valve. May also be expansion of the hot water heater and may need expansion tank.
Good Luck.

Last edited by plumbbum0203; 02-23-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: more info
plumbbum0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'm with plumbbum0203. You need to replace your PRV if you have one, It's not that hard to do. If you buy one brand new, they are factory set at 75 psi which is plenty unless you have a mansion. But you may want to go down there and check it out, maybe just take the whole thing out, and get a small stick of copper and 2 couplings and just take it out. It won't hurt anything, usually, the meter has a PRV so you won't have to worry about any of your fixtures blowing up.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote