Flow And Temp Valves?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Home DIYer
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver USA, Wa
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10

Flow and Temp Valves??

Hello all, another question!

Throughout our new house (built in 1999) the bath and kitchen fixtures are Kohler (I believe) and they all match, from the bath faucets to the kitchen and shower sets. They all look like "Aladdin's Lamp" (chrome and gold, fugly in my opinion). Anyway...

In the showers, there are 2 valves marked FLOW and TEMP. These valves are getting old and squeaky and I would like to replace them. I have never seen this type of shower set before. The temp valve does nothing by itself until the FLOW valve is opened and I am confused how this system works.

I would like to replace the whole set with a standard Hot and Cold set but I don't know how the plumbing is done behind the wall. Or should I just replace the cartridges? (if there are any) and be done with it?

Also, I tried to find new aerators for these "Aladdin's Lamp" faucets in the bathrooms to no avail. (the aerators fell apart). They apparently have a 3/4-27 Female thread in the faucet outlet and I can't seem to find an aerator that has a 3/4-27 male thread. Nor can I locate an adaptor!

Can someone please shed some light on these issues for me? Thanks!


Rhumba555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,728
Rewards Points: 7,174

I suggest that you call Kohler their customer service line has always been helpful.

Best to fix the old mixer----changing a mixer is a major job that often includes replacing tile work.

Kohler may send you free parts---Mike----


New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,118
Rewards Points: 2,000

Not familiar with that model, but it seems perfectly clear to me....'flow' is for the volume of water, 'temp' is for the temperature. Most often in new faucets, these functions a controlled by a single handle.

And I doubt the finish is gold, probably brass, but it could be gold.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Home DIYer
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver USA, Wa
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10

Bt gold I meant a gold finish. I doubt as well it is real gold.

I was more curious about whether these type of valves are plumbed differently behind the wall or not.

No matter, the family likes them so I will try to just replace the cartridges.

I will try to keep you all posted as to my progress.
Rhumba555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhumba555 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-12-2011)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
low domestic hot water flow with tankless coil mike42 HVAC 28 11-24-2011 08:35 AM
AC Temp drop over plenum run length BlueBSH HVAC 23 06-22-2010 08:10 AM
In Floor Heat Flow Adjustment RoundPorch HVAC 3 01-03-2010 02:55 PM
AC freezing up and stopping air flow bryanewade HVAC 10 06-11-2008 08:06 PM
altering HVAC flow levels? joeyboy HVAC 7 05-01-2008 04:22 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1