Floor Standing Urinal Drain Installation In Basement Slab - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floor standing urinal drain installation in basement slab

I am in the process of installing a Kohler Branham (http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Branham%...als/418657.htm) floor standing urinal and the matching beehive strainer (http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Stainles...log/420329.htm) into a concrete floor of my basement. The installation requires setting the urinal on a bed of sand, so I will have to get the plumbing just right under the slab so that when the urinal is set into position, the strainer will locate directly above the drain line. The strainer is cast brass and has a 2-1/2" ID opening so it has just a little bit of clearance when placed over a 2" PVC pipe.

The drain is described as a "caulk" style connection and from what I have been able to find, that typically refers to packing it with oakum and pouring led to make the seal. This sounds like a bad idea with PVC pipe, so I'm wondering if I can just substitute a high grade of silicone caulk or if there is some better mechanism for completing the seal? Since there is no access to the underside after the urinal is in position, I can't make any connections using something like a Fernco boot. The trap will be buried under the slab about a foot below the bottom of the strainer.

Are there any on-line references that show how this is done?

Thanks,
-Brian

Advertisement

bcasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

See if they have a no-caulk version. It ill come with a compression gasket instead of lead and oakum.
Another option is to transition the tailpiece above the trap to cast iron- then pour the joint.

I haven't installed one of those in decades, surprised they still make them...

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I like the "retro" look of this old urinal and you're right - I confirmed with Kohler that they've been making this urinal for like 40 years without any changes... The only drain they make is the lead/oakum one. So - after much digging around and swinging by the local pro plumbers supply store to make some comparisons, I think I'm just going to go with a Sioux Chief no-caulk shower drain which is dimensionally almost a perfect match.

The only issue is that all of the different no-caulk drains use a flat push-in style strainer and there is some interference with the porcelain on the pee-side of the urinal body that was not an issue with the screw-down behive strainer. I'm still deciding how to tackle that, but at least I can stick with PVC for the drain pipe... Worst case, I may just tack the strainer down to the drain with some silicone - not using it for any of the DWV seal.

Does anyone know if there is a 2" no-caulk shower drain that utilizes a screw down strainer?

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Floor mount janitor sinks can be shipped with 2" no caulk strainers. Also come with the beehive strainer that screw down.

Did the plumbing place suggest oakum and lead wool? It's also a possibility. Same as pouring a joint but the lead is shredded and inserted as strands. The rest of the process is the same.
For what it's worth- I have poured joints against plastic pipe, but it's tricky.
A word of caution too- if molten lead touches water it splatters worse than bacon grease!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Yes - the lead wool option was discussed and we decided the easiest option was to try to lean toward the no-caulk fitting (as you suggested too!) I'll look at the janitor sink strainers too - thanks for the suggestion.

I remember molding some hobby figures many years ago and messing with my fathers ladle, torch and lead. For some dumb reason I decided to pour some of the molten lead into a bucket of water - amazingly, I have no scars to show despite all of the excitement :-)

Cheers,
-Brian
Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

I'm in the process of designing my pole barn and plan on using a branham urinal for the same reasons you mentioned. How did the plumbing solutions work out?

Thanks
Huffduf41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Well, after talking to 100 people and getting 100 different opinions, I finally decided to use PVC under the floor and the "correct" K-9183 behive strainer. After getting it all roughed in so the alignment was perfect and the concrete poured into place, I cut the PVC pipe so there was about 1-3/4" protruding into the inside of the brass fitting, packed the bottom with oakum and then finished the seal with this: http://www.oatey.com/products/putty-...ants/pipe-seal. Something about pouring hot lead against PVC just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen, but the Oatey stuff is easy to work into the joint and seems to be developed for this purpose.

Before my final solution, I had several Fernco gaskets in my hands, including the closest match - a PSD-200. I attempted a dry-fit, but there's no way that will work, BTW, so don't bother going down that route. I was also close to using a Sioux Chief no-caulk drain but the aesthetics just didn't grab me. Odd considering all I do is pee on it :-)

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the help, that is exactly what I needed to know.

So you install the strainer assembly in the urinal, then place the strainer pipe (Urinal) over the PVC, then wrapp the oakum around the PVC and put this putty over the oakum?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #9

No prob... Install the brass part of the strainer into the urinal but leave the stainless behive part off. I used plumbers putty on the top of the urinal drain hole here just like you would for a sink fixture and cranked the big nut on securely from the bottom. Then set the whole urinal into position with the PVC poking up into the brass fitting. The urinal is "free standing" to a point, but I also caulked it to the wall at this point to keep it from moving before tiling up against it on the sides and top. Also make sure the lip of the urinal is at the right height with the floor so you can taper your floor tile into it like a floor drain. Then I filled the gap between the floor and the urinal with some backer rod and more silicone caulk. Once the urinal is fixed into position, jam a bunch of oakum down into the gap between brass and PVC until it's packed nice and tight, but leave a little room below the top of the PVC for the putty. I packed enough putty in to make it was secure, and also tapered it at the top so it formed a little funnel to ensure no excess liquid would build up anywhere. Last step was to install the behive strainer on top.

I hope I never have to service this thing, but it was a pretty straightforward installation.

Good luck! with yours!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #10

Perfect. Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement