Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

I am finishing my basement. There is a floor drain that previously had the furnace condensation draining into it. This drain goes to my sump pit that pumps into my septic system.

I am putting a kitchen sink very close to the current floor drain and plan to run the kitchen sink into this floor drain. However, I am considering keeping the floor drain open for emergency flooding issues should they ever occur! I found this picture but can't find the actual item anywhere. Is something like this available or is there a different way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Floor Drain / Sink Drain-drain.jpg  

OhioDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Why does your sump pump drain to your septic? Are you sure that doesnt make sense! If your septic backed up it would come out that drain first and you would have sewage all over your basement, also your pumping groundwater into septic unnecessarily. Floor drains are trapped so using it for your purposes is not a good idea, if it does drain to septic i would not use it, tie in a existing continue the drain to proper location..

Last edited by Peppe1019; 08-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Peppe1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 614

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

As I understand it, what you are trying to do is essentially use an indirect drain, also known as a floor drain, for your kitchen sink. Such applications are common in commercial kitchen, but there are many caveats.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppe1019 View Post
Why does your sump pump drain to your septic? Are you sure that doesnt make sense! If your septic backed up it would come out that drain first and you would have sewage all over your basement, also your pumping groundwater into septic unnecessarily. Floor drains are trapped so using it for your purposes is not a good idea, if it does drain to septic i would jack it up remove trap and continue the drain to proper location..
If I'm going to use this drain for a kitchen sink, doesn't it NEED to drain into the septic?

It would only be a "floor drain" in case of catastrophic flooding.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDon View Post
If I'm going to use this drain for a kitchen sink, doesn't it NEED to drain into the septic?

It would only be a "floor drain" in case of catastrophic flooding.
Yes the drain needs to go to your septic i was talking about pumping groundwater into your septic thats usually not permiited and unnecessary.a sump pump and floor drain is usually connected to underground irrigation and drains to an easement or some other area to be collected. Its illegal to do what your are proposing my advice is to jack the floor up to an existing line and tiein to bring the drain where you need it.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #6

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppe1019 View Post
Yes the drain needs to go to your septic i was talking about pumping groundwater into your septic thats usually not permiited and unnecessary.a sump pump and floor drain is usually connected to underground irrigation and drains to an easement or some other area to be collected. Its illegal to do what your are proposing my advice is to jack the floor up to an existing line and tiein to bring the drain where you need it.
OK, I should have clarified: I live in Ohio and have a leach bed septic system. This is not going to a municipal septic system. Does that make a difference to your recommendation? The sump pump was designed to take the basement toilet and shower to my septic. It is a sealed sump pit and everything passed inspections when the house was built 13 years ago.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
OK, I should have clarified: I live in Ohio and have a leach bed septic system. This is not going to a municipal septic system. Does that make a difference to your recommendation? The sump pump was designed to take the basement toilet and shower to my septic. It is a sealed sump pit and everything passed inspections when the house was built 13 years ago.
Ok now we are clear that is a sewage ejector pit not a sump pump two different things. It will be fine to connect to an existing drain however i would leave the floor drain no matter what it is illegal to tie into a floor drain. Your new drain would also have to be vented properly.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,476

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

You can not indirectly drain a kitchen sink or any other sink into a floor drain in the state of Ohio. Kitchen sinks tend to have grease and food particles which tend to rot and smell. The Kitchen sink will need to be directly piped into your drain and vented in a proper manner.

I also have to ask where did you run the furnace condensate that was keeping your floor drain wet year around to?

I would suggest you get in touch with your local building department.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-27-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-29-2013), TheEplumber (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
You can not indirectly drain a kitchen sink or any other sink into a floor drain in the state of Ohio. Kitchen sinks tend to have grease and food particles which tend to rot and smell. The Kitchen sink will need to be directly piped into your drain and vented in a proper manner.

I also have to ask where did you run the furnace condensate that was keeping your floor drain wet year around to?

I would suggest you get in touch with your local building department.
I will have an aerator (ie. garabage disposal) under the sink if that makes any difference.

I have a licensed plumbing company that did the rough plumbing for the bathroom and the kitchen. I'm not sure what they have in mind for the drain but I trust them to do it properly. I was just trying to help with plumbing because a cabinet is going to be over the current floor drain location.

The furnace was moved about 15' (by a licensed plumber) close to a wall and plumbed into new plumbing that ends up in the same "sump" pit as before. It has been like this for about three years. Some of that time, I have had a dehumidifier draining into the floor drain.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
I will have an aerator (ie. garabage disposal) under the sink if that makes any difference.

I have a licensed plumbing company that did the rough plumbing for the bathroom and the kitchen. I'm not sure what they have in mind for the drain but I trust them to do it properly. I was just trying to help with plumbing because a cabinet is going to be over the current floor drain location.

The furnace was moved about 15' (by a licensed plumber) close to a wall and plumbed into new plumbing that ends up in the same "sump" pit as before. It has been like this for about three years. Some of that time, I have had a dehumidifier draining into the floor drain.

Since he is supposedly licensed ask him where the plumbing permit is and when it will be inspected. I'm an Ohio plumbing inspector. In the end it is the homeowners responsibility to pull all permits and the liability of all not inspected work stops at your door. Your house is your biggest investment don't piss it away.

By the way a disposal still does not make it legal to dump a kitchen sink into a floor drain. It actually will make the problem worse.

Now a true and horrible story...

A nice Ohio resident decided to build a nice new in law suite on his house. He did all that great work with no stinking permits. About 2 years later a fire started in the addition on the electrical circuit. His house was burned to the ground. No one was killed.
Problem came up when his insurance asked for all the permits and inspections for the addition. There was none. Insurance company walked and paid nothing on his claim. Since the fire started in that addition.

It's your house do it right!

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
You can not indirectly drain a kitchen sink or any other sink into a floor drain in the state of Ohio
I seriously doubt that

http://www.iccsafe.org/content/Docum...ng_Updates.pdf

Quote:
By the way a disposal still does not make it legal to dump a kitchen sink into a floor drain. It actually will make the problem worse
Very true

Quote:

Now a true and horrible story...

A nice Ohio resident decided to build a nice new in law suite on his house. He did all that great work with no stinking permits. About 2 years later a fire started in the addition on the electrical circuit. His house was burned to the ground. No one was killed.
Problem came up when his insurance asked for all the permits and inspections for the addition. There was none. Insurance company walked and paid nothing on his claim.
I categorically do not believe those stories. They are repeated ad naseum on this site and others, but no one ever supplies a link to a court case or article in the media.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,430

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
I seriously doubt that

Very true

I categorically do not believe those stories. They are repeated ad naseum on this site and others, but no one ever supplies a link to a court case or article in the media.
wingnut- did you read 802.1?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #13

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
I seriously doubt that

Very true

I'm glad your such a sweet product of the modern school system. Did you miss your reading class?

802.1 Where required.
Food-handling equipment and
clear-water waste shall discharge through an indirect waste
pipe as specified in Sections 802.1.1 through 802.1.7. All fix-
tures, devices and equipment
used for health care purposes
shall discharge to the drainage system through an indirect
waste pipe by means of an air gap in accordance with this chap-
ter and Section 713.3. Fixtures not required by this section to be
indirectly connected shall be directly connected to the plumb-
ing system in accordance with Chapter 7

Show me in chapter 8 anything that specifically mentions a kitchen sink.....

A prep sink is not a kitchen sink a 3 compartment sink is not a kitchen sink Seems to me they are talking about a restaurant. I saw nothing mentioned by this poster that he was installing a commercial restaurant.

Chapter 7 does and it also mandates a 1.5 inch trap.

I suggest you also learn to read. There was no court case. It was an insurance decision. If you read your policy you will find all them wonderful holes in coverage.

So troll I suggest you return to your hack work and leave the pros alone.
It would also help if you would learn to read. NO plumbing authority in the state of Ohio will allow a residential kitchen sink to be drained down a floor drain with or without a disposal.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-29-2013 at 09:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Peppe1019 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #14

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

I've built about twenty restaurants and I'm 53. How about sweetie?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,786

Floor Drain / Sink Drain

The free fall receptor at the floor that accepts sink drains is not a floor drain---and has a tall collar to aid in keeping the sewage off the floor--------

A floor drain is not acceptable for sewage from a sink.