DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Floor Drain Cover - Advice?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  globus999 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am trying to replace the current floor drain cover in the basement. It's an odd ball. It looks like a snap-in but the metal is cast (lightweight) presumably some sort of aluminum alloy. It's not really a snap in, since the "legs" that should snap are more like prongs which are not flexible.

The house is about 12 years old, in Ontario, Canada.

The cover reads "Shamo Industries" and "Mississauga ON". Never heard of this company.

The first time I removed it, I assumed that the cover was sitting on top of the drain pipe, but upon further investigation, I realized it is sitting on concrete. I can't see any pipe edge. I chiseled out a bit of concrete in one side to see if I can expose the pipe, but there seems to be nothing but concrete over there.

Is this possible? Was this even according to code back then? or just a sloppy builder.

What I need is some model of cover that has screws holding the strainer since I need to install a valve in it to prevent Radon gas sipping from the pipes into the basement.

Any ideas, suggestions are very much welcomed! Tx!

See less See more
#2 ·
Could you just make yourself a drain cover out of a piece of steel (about two inches bigger than the drain) and then hammer drill some holes around the drain, install anchors and bolt your drain cover to them?

Do you have something in your basement that puts out water regularly, like a washing machine? If you keep that drain's ptrap full of water you shouldn't have to worry about the radon.

Binkstir

#3 ·
Fantastic idea!
I don't know if there is a P-trap installed (should be), but in any case, I'll just buy a larger cover in Home Depot and screw-it right on the concrete. That "should" work.... assuming the inspector does not balk.

I do have something that spwews water all the time (humidifier or air conditioner condensation) but this has not made any difference. Hence, I need to install a special trap. But with your suggestion, this should do the trick. BIG TX!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.