Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
liscenced electrician

Share |

Flooded basement

My basement has flooded due to massive amounts of rain in the last couple days. The basement aleady has a sump pump for the washing machine and a bathroom, but has nothing for ground water. Is there a way to plumb it in for ground water to run in? Im not sure how you do this, so that ground water can run in, but turds cant run out. I know a check valve would be used, but im not sure how to go about doing it properly.
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Flooded basement

Oregon coast eh? Sounds like you're probably out in my neck of the woods somewhere. We're getting pounded pretty hard right now.

How is the rainwater getting in? You'd have to divert it into some sort of piping first, and then route the piping into the basin somehow.

Hard to say how easy or difficult that would be without seeing the setup or why the water is getting in.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Flooded basement

You have a sewage pump right now, not a sump pump. I am guessing you have a septic system. If so, there is NO WAY you want to pump stormwater into your septic system. If you are on city sewer, there is still no way you want to pump stormwater into the sewer system. Stormwater needs to be pumped into the stormwater system, if there is one where you live, else far away from your house to a river or stream, or possibly an area well below the elevation of your basement. The stormwater system and the sewer system must be kept completely separate.

Unfortunately there is no way you are going to construct a stormwater system while your basement is under water. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding construction of a perimeter drainage system for a house, check them out using the search function. It all starts with a careful analysis of where the water is coming from, if from surface water runoff or groundwater. The treatment for each case is quite different.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-31-2012), VIPlumber (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #4

Flooded basement

I would be looking around outside to see why it's coming in not inside.
Grade has to slope away from the house, need working gutters with long enough drains to get it way from the foundation.
NO mulch piled up againt the foundation.
Flower beds right up againt the foundation make great ponds to hold water.

May even need to add a french drain.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Flooded basement

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...CategoryID=21&
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
liscenced electrician

Flooded basement

I am not on a septic system, the sewage pump is only for below grade. My main drain lines are above my basement. My issue is from ground water. I have never had a problem with flooding (or moisture of any kind) until now. It rained so much that it raised the water table up significantly. I added a sump pump and it is draining into the street.

Im assuming that if i added a floor drain, i would want it draining into my sewage pump. Ive been researching backwater valves and im not sure which to buy. I ordered a "floor guard" but ive heard they aren't 100% reliable. I would like to add a higher quality solution in case the pump failed. Can anyone recommend a backflow valve that would be suitable? I plan to install it in the concrete, but add an access box above the backflow valve.
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote