Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

Flood prevention?

Hi;
I have an under-the-sink water filtration system:
http://www.h2odistributors.com/insta...?i=H2O-RUS-200

The hookup I have is the same as in the diagram, except that I added a flow meter to the filter line. The filter and flow meter have plastic "John Guest" fittings.
The system has been installed for almost 3yrs without a problem, but I am concerned with the eventual failure of one of the plastic components, which will inevitably lead to a flood in the kitchen.

I am going to replace the shut-off valves with ball valves, and, at the same time, reduce the chances that something will blow in the middle of the night.

First off, I want to eliminate the short piece of tubing between the shut-off and the T with a 1/2" T that will thread into the shut-off valve, and provide one 3/8" and one 1/4" compression fitting.

I would also like to replace the plastic shut-off for the filter with a brass ball valve.
It would actually be preferable to have this shut-off separate from the main shut-off for the sink, but having it after the main would be OK too. The thing is, I want to eliminate as many of the plastic fittings as possible.

If there is an anti-flood valve that I can install in the line, that would be great, as the filter requires such a low flow that it should be easy for a valve to detect a much higher flow.

Here is a photo of the hookup I now have:

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #2

Flood prevention?

ok so do you know how long john guest has been around over 50 years in business and these fitting are used all over in the restaurant business some in some very large and expensive coffee shops and i have never heard of one failing
so in my opinion why change something that has a good reputation

http://www.johnguest.co.uk/Home/appl...alves-(1).aspx

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Flood prevention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
ok so do you know how long john guest has been around over 50 years in business and these fitting are used all over in the restaurant business some in some very large and expensive coffee shops and i have never heard of one failing
so in my opinion why change something that has a good reputation

http://www.johnguest.co.uk/Home/applications/beverages-and-drinks-dispense/Valves/Acetal-Stop-Valves-(1).aspx
Thank you for that info. I wasn't familiar with John Guest's reputation.
I like this kind of answer... it basically tells me I don't need to make work for myself. I guess when I installed the filter, I attached everything properly (followed all of the instructions), or I would have had a leak by now.

So I guess the only thing I will change is the main shut-offs, since they are so old and almost impossible to use, and leak (from the stems) when disturbed.
I already have the ball valves for that job.

FW

Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Flood prevention?

FW,

While your changing your stops under the sink you might want to consider changing the supply lines to your sink from the current gray chrome(?) ones to the braided stainless steel ones similar to the one you have for you pull out faucet. Just a thought as they are more flexible (forgiving) than the rigid ones you currently have in place.

Also I used to install under the counter RO's a few years back, using John Guest fittings, and never had a call back due to a fitting releasing (blowing off).
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #5

Flood prevention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
FW,

While your changing your stops under the sink you might want to consider changing the supply lines to your sink from the current gray chrome(?) ones to the braided stainless steel ones similar to the one you have for you pull out faucet. Just a thought as they are more flexible (forgiving) than the rigid ones you currently have in place.

Also I used to install under the counter RO's a few years back, using John Guest fittings, and never had a call back due to a fitting releasing (blowing off).
Those gray tubes are integrated into the Delta faucet. I may need to change that out as well, as it has not been performing up to my expectations.

FW

Tags
anti-flood, plastic compression