Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Share |

Flexible connection required for propane heater ?

Hi,

I am installing a wall mounted ventless propane heater in my house (in a cold room).

A 100 gal tank will be setup on the outside of the house against the wall that the heater is mounted to. I will be piping less than 10 feet.

The simplest installation for me would be to bring the copper pipe right through the wall and connect it directly to the heater with a flared fitting. Note that I won't be piping through a crawl space. I'm going to drill a horizontal hole through the wall and feed the pipe through it. Oh, and I will have a drip leg, in case you were wondering.

Does this meet code or do I have to use a flexible connection ? If I have to use a flexible connection I don't even know what I would do with it. The heater mounts right to the wall (with a built in 1/2" spacer). The flex hose seems useless to me.

Thanks for helping with my first post !!

-Steve

SteveB2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #2

Codes vary all over, but most localities don't like homeowners doing gas piping themselves. If unsure, have a pro finish the job.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

You do not need to use a flex connector but you do need a gas cock (shutoff) inside the building adjacent to the appliance.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles
You do not need to use a flex connector but you do need a gas cock (shutoff) inside the building adjacent to the appliance.
Thanks!!

Yes, a shutoff valve is part of the master plan.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Picky Plumber

You need to look at the manufacturers' instructions and find out what the local codes are and do whichever is more restrictive. I would advise if unfamiliar with gas to have the propane company run the line for you. If not, try and pull a permit yourself (if you can). If you can't, have a licensed pro do the job. It would suck for you to blow your house up and not be able to file a claim on your insurance for 10' of sub-par gas work. Plumber may charge 100-300 bucks for that type of job. (WORTH IT!)

Last edited by Plumber26; 12-28-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: I meant to say "more restrictive"
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #6

The propane company will be charging me for an inspection and has already told me that they will not hook up the gas if they don't certify that the job is done right (and they will charge me anyway).

Why is everyone having such a difficult time just helping to educate me ?

No disrespect intended, but I can't help but feel that some of you are self glorifying yourselves by proclaiming that you are the only ones who can handle this task.

I thought I could learn something here, I'll keep looking.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Picky Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
The propane company will be charging me for an inspection and has already told me that they will not hook up the gas if they don't certify that the job is done right (and they will charge me anyway).

Why is everyone having such a difficult time just helping to educate me ?

No disrespect intended, but I can't help but feel that some of you are self glorifying yourselves by proclaiming that you are the only ones who can handle this task.

I thought I could learn something here, I'll keep looking.

Look guy, I'm sure you are a smart person. I'm fully confident that you are capable of handling this task but, that is the best answer I can give you. If you don't know the codes, check with your city/county inspections dept. (NOT the gas company) and find out if you are #1 LEGALLY allowed to perform this task. ALOT of municipalities want this type of work done by a LICENSED PLUMBER! Do you think that I just got on the internet, learned how to do plumbing, and started piping gas systems in homes the first week? No, I don't think so. You are not going to "learn" what you need to know on the computer.
I'm all for "helping you" but there is a difference between helping you fix your broken toilet and helping you blow your house up.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

"....there is a difference between helping you fix your broken toilet and helping you blow your house up..."

This is my new favorite quote!
16d Fuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

Well now, this thread has been dead for quite a while, but since it's been reopened I'll reply.

For the record, I wasn't asking HOW to do the piping, but instead I was asking for clarification one one small part of the code. I have done hydraulic piping for years, so this isn't completely foreign to me.

In any event I completed the hook up without any problems and my wife and I have really enjoyed the extra heat.

In fact I'm adjusting the thermostat now, BOOM.............