Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flapper Leak in VERY Old Toilet

I have a 1950's toilet that has a built in overflow and therefore the flapper or ball valve is seating against the porcelain rather than a plastic or metal flange. I would really rather fix this toilet rather than replace it as it is of a color that matches the rest of the fixtures in the room and buying colored fixtures today appears to be extremely expensive.

I've replaced the ball valve several times, switched to a tank floor mounted flapper, and still can't get a good seal. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

jlc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fluidmaster makes replacement flappers(home/hardware stores) in several configurations that have always worked for me, in old toilets. Are you sure the seat is not pitted or cracked.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with Bill. Many times the seating surface or the flapper gets mineral deposits stuck to it and causes the seepage.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Leak Master

Rewards Points: 25

Quit wasting time making repairs on older than dirt toilets. If you can afford them, get new toilets. You will benefit with less water usage and no more headaches. I recommend American Standard Cadet III.
O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the suggestions. I will start by cleaning up the seating surface and if that doesn't work, see if one of Fluidmaster's repair kits will work.

O'Leaky - I do appreciate your suggestion and would love to save the water but I have to look at the economic side of things. While a white toilet can be found for around $150, a robin's-egg blue one to match our bathroom starts at $350 and goes up from there. We'd have to be in the house for 10years before the water savings would pay for the difference. (Unless, of course, someone pays for a complete bathroom renovation to convert ALL of the fixtures over to a matching white - you have a spare $15K you're willing to give up??)

jlc
jlc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Always read the entire post, folks!
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Leak Master

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc791 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start by cleaning up the seating surface and if that doesn't work, see if one of Fluidmaster's repair kits will work.

O'Leaky - I do appreciate your suggestion and would love to save the water but I have to look at the economic side of things. While a white toilet can be found for around $150, a robin's-egg blue one to match our bathroom starts at $350 and goes up from there. We'd have to be in the house for 10years before the water savings would pay for the difference. (Unless, of course, someone pays for a complete bathroom renovation to convert ALL of the fixtures over to a matching white - you have a spare $15K you're willing to give up??)

jlc
I will never understand people and there desire to live in the past or insist that all the fixtures have to be matching colors. I have removed many and varied colored toilets and installed white. Normally they fit in quite well, and most people are surprised at how nice it looks. Especially if there is any white color to your room (walls, floors, counter top, sink etc....).
I apologize, I should have figured that if you were seeking free advice on a DIY site, that you could not afford to pay for a new toilet, but have a lot of free time to waste on repairs.
O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote