Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flange Help Needed

Hello, I decided to replace a toilette this weekend. Wife wanted a new one, old one worked okay, but she's the boss...

Plastic flange was cracked and broken in a couple of areas. Flange was not bolted or screwed down to concrete floor, instead, must have been held down with some type of adhesive. Waste pipe going down through floor is metal.

I got most of old flange out, but it seems part of it that was going down into metal pipe was glued to the inside of another plastic pipe. Both flange and other plastic pipe go down (into concrete) approx 1.75" before metal pipe starts. The other plastic pipe is even on the inside with the metal pipe, whereas the flange was approx 1/4" smaller than metal pipe. Maybe other plastic pipe was some type of extension?

So, the questions are: After removing all parts of old flange, am I okay then to put in new flange, or do I need to remove the plastic pipe that is of same size as metal pipe and put in something else? Also, once I'm ready to install new flange, would tapcons be alright to screw flange to concrete floor? Also, is brass the way to go with a flange, or would plastic or metal be better?

I've never done any work with flanges before, so sorry if this seems trivial. Just want to get the job done right so I won't have to mess with it again.

Thanks for your responses.

tajones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Flange Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajones44
Hello, I decided to replace a toilette this weekend. Wife wanted a new one, old one worked okay, but she's the boss...

Plastic flange was cracked and broken in a couple of areas. Flange was not bolted or screwed down to concrete floor, instead, must have been held down with some type of adhesive. Waste pipe going down through floor is metal.

I got most of old flange out, but it seems part of it that was going down into metal pipe was glued to the inside of another plastic pipe. Both flange and other plastic pipe go down (into concrete) approx 1.75" before metal pipe starts. The other plastic pipe is even on the inside with the metal pipe, whereas the flange was approx 1/4" smaller than metal pipe. Maybe other plastic pipe was some type of extension?

So, the questions are: After removing all parts of old flange, am I okay then to put in new flange, or do I need to remove the plastic pipe that is of same size as metal pipe and put in something else? Also, once I'm ready to install new flange, would tapcons be alright to screw flange to concrete floor? Also, is brass the way to go with a flange, or would plastic or metal be better?

I've never done any work with flanges before, so sorry if this seems trivial. Just want to get the job done right so I won't have to mess with it again.

Thanks for your responses.

It sounds like from you're description that the the plastic pipe (pvc or abs) is an extension of the metal (cast iron or copper?) and they probably used a clamp underground for the connection.If the flange is glued into the ext then it is going to be tough to remove.They do make a tool for this that goes on a drill(about $25). The new flange can be plastic (male) to fit back into ext and the ring around it should be stainless. I'm not sure if HD carries them. The one that broke on you sounds like the ring was plastic. The ring being where the johnni bolts and anchors go.I think the ones at HD the ring is metal but not stainless and those rings eventually rust away. As far as anchoring you can use whatever you can to adapt it to the cement and the ring as long as it ends up flush.

plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Flange Help Needed

Thanks for the info Plumguy, I appreciate it.

HomeDepot had either plastic, brass(?), and a very heavy metal one ($23) that went inside the current pipe and had 2 rubber gaskets around the part that fits inside the pipe in the concrete. Seems like once that metal one goes in, who knows if it'll ever come out. Is this metal one a good idea? The brass one goes on the outside of the pipe and that means busting up a little concrete.

I'll try to find that part for the drill. Thanks again.

Last edited by tajones44; 07-11-2005 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
tajones44 is offline   Reply With Quote