Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

Fixing squeaky tub faucet

I have an old bathtub and faucets (1931 house). Both hot and cold handles making loud squeaking/screeching noise when turned on and off. While there is no leaking at all, I've been here since 1994 and no work has been done on these faucets, so the innards at are least that old. I've taken all the outer hardware off; the stem is still attached. In this state, it's still noisy when turned.

I assume I can't just push some plumbers grease in there without removing the stem and hope that stops the noise. I assume I must remove the stem to look at the washer and O-ring. I know to shut off the water to the faucet, then relieve the pressure. There are two nuts (see pic below), with an "outer" nut and an "inner" nut. To remove the stem, do I unscrew the outer nut or the inner one?

Will changing the washer and possibly the O-ring likely stop the noise?

In addition to putting it on the threads, should I put plumbers grease on the washer? And on the O-ring? Should it be a silicone grease or just any plumbers grease?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing squeaky tub faucet-faucetconnected.jpg   Fixing squeaky tub faucet-faucetdisconnected.jpg  

Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 38

shut off water...use faucet grease...its water proof....grease up all threads as far down as you can take apart....not the waskers....ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Rav

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
shut off water...use faucet grease...its water proof....grease up all threads as far down as you can take apart....not the waskers....ben sr
Thanks for the reply, Ben, and I'll be sure to get and use faucet grease. But I still need to know which nut to unscrew to be able to pull the stem out. I THINK it's the larger one (the one that's further back) -- correct?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Thanks for the reply, Ben, and I'll be sure to get and use faucet grease. But I still need to know which nut to unscrew to be able to pull the stem out. I THINK it's the larger one (the one that's further back) -- correct?
they look to be in good shape I would take outer nut off 1 st see if stem will screw out...if not take other ....grease up....sorry for the delay ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet, handles, squeak