Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

fixing a leaking drain

I ripped down my old wood ceiling in my kitchen and while it is down I wood like to fix my leaking shower drain. It leaks at the first connection right below the floor. It can actually be moved up and down slighty and if I wiggle it a little after the shower was used a little water will come out. Should This joint be glued. Or could it be missing a gasket. should there be movement? In order to take off tail piece I will need to cut back before the p trap, put a coupling then reattach? Or is there another way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
fixing a leaking drain-img_2688a.jpg   fixing a leaking drain-img_2687a.jpg  

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,484

fixing a leaking drain

There are two common types of shower drains-----one is a glue up--I think that is what you have.

The other has an opening about 1/2 inch larger than the 2" drain---the drain pipe slides into that--then a rubber ring type gasket is driven into the space between the drain 'cup' and the pipe.

Remove the chrome drain screen and look---if you see a black rubber ring (or some caulk because the installer wrecked the rubber) you will know what you have.

I suggest that you cut that P-trap out ,get a new drain set and rebuild the P-trap-- That is not advanced plumbing--I am sure that you will see the problem and solution as soon as you have it out---Mike

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote