Fixing Leak In Well Supply Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fixing Leak in Well Supply Line

The other day I noticed the floor in my basement around my 2-line jet pump was wet. Now we keep our dogs down there during the day while at work and thought maybe one of them had an accident. SO I cleaned it up. Next day, same issue.

I took a flashlight down there and noticed misting in the air. Turns out that there's a small pinhole leak in the 1 1/4" supply line right in the seam.

I got another section of the same pump and am going to cut out the leak, which is right at the end of a fitting and then replace the fitting into the existing pipe.

I have a few questions regarding this job.

1. When I turn the well pump off, just how much water should I expect to come out of the pipe?

2. I have read that I need to prime the pump when I'm all said and done. On the models I have looked at online there is a bleeder plug on the top of the pump. However on mine there's one on the end where the supply lines come in. I'm assuming, and I know how bad that can be, this plug is the same for priming?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Turn the pump off (or unplug it) and open the nearest faucet from it and allow whatever pressure to drain off. There will be residual water in the lines that the pump is supplying. You can drain those off by opening the farthest hot & cold faucets (for air) and the lowest faucet or hydrant to allow this to drain off.
Also turn off the power to your water heater so you won't damage it if the water gets too low in the tank while you're draining things down to repair the pump line.
Priming a shallow well pump:
The small 1/4" bleeder plugs are to drain a pump for the winter. A primer plug should be on top of the pump head and be 3/4".
You will need one gallon jug of drinking water, an adjustable wrench and teflon pumber's tape.
1. Wrap 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the plug clockwise only as the threaded end faces you. Close all faucets.
2. Fill the pump head from the jug, plug in the pump and quickly begin hand-tightening the plug. It will sputter and spew a bit as you do, but that is normal. Listen for the pump to begin picking up the prime (it will begin to sound a bit labored). If you think that the prime has been picked up, tighten the plug with the wrench.
If the prime has not been picked up, repeat the process until it is, including replacing the teflon tape.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #3

I did pretty much word for word. Luckily I thought it out because I never checked this post after I wrote it. The weekend was a bit hectic.

Either way, I got it done. There was no primer plug on the top, just two on the side of the inlet. Instead I took the gauge on top of the pump off and filled it and then screwed the gauge back in.

There was a little air in the system once everything got running for a while but it's all good now and working properly.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

have a pin hole on the out put of my well pump
need to stop leak is there a patch or seal i can use
joepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepel View Post
have a pin hole on the out put of my well pump
need to stop leak is there a patch or seal i can use

I tried a few things but I never found one that worked. Best thing to do is replace ir or speak to a pro about other sealants. The problem with sealants though, I think, is you're only putting a bandaid over the situation. If you replace with new it'll be good for another 30-40 years.