DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fixing a fitting with PVC cement

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Alan 
#1 ·
If you have a broken fitting (overtightened it), can you just cake on a lot of PVC cement? Because it's going to be a huge pain in the ass it cut everything apart and put in a new fitting.

Btw, this is for 3/4" water lines at low pressure.

#3 ·
Not likly to hold up. You would have to frill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from cracking more.
Far better to just replace it.
Always look for the PVC fittings with the brass insert if there's threads involved. Never had much luck with soild PVC. There made in two pieces and always seem to crack at some point.

#4 ·
These didn't even break at the seem, they were T's with 2 slip and 1 threaded and the middle blew out the same way in almost every one.

Going to have to replace -- 2 I saw were broken but 2 more ended up being cracked against the wall :(

What really sucks is that I put a lot of effort into getting them tight just so they wouldn't leak, never dreamed they'd all crack the next ****ing day.

#5 ·
Are these drain lines? Trying to picture where you would have used Tees like that.
If I get stuck having to use them I would have used teflon dope not tape.
It acts a lub as well as a seal so you do not have to tighten them so much.

#10 ·
They are legal, if you thread a plastic fitting into it. Metal = not so much.

On a related note, I find it oddly humorous that the municipality here has their employees telling us that we need to start installing female pvc adapters onto their meter tailpiece assembly because the male pvc adapters always break.

#9 ·
I personaly never would have wasted my money on those. A simple brass barbed fitting never would have split.
What is it you really trying to hook up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.