Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fixed tub valve, now hot gets cold fast

Hi! I'm new, and I replaced my shower's cartridge valve with a new one, because the old one was leaking. While trying to 'help out' the old valve, the water began coming out scalding hot. Now that I've replaced with a new one, water comes out normally, but the hot gets cold much quicker than before. It does this for both showers now. It's strange to me, since the water could go from scalding hot, to not having enough hot water for two showers in a row. Washer is closest to the water heater, then the fixed bathroom, the kitchen sink, and the last bathroom. I haven't checked the washer's water temp, as I just changed the tub cartridge. Only theory I have is that the water heater didn't like me putting scalding water through the lines? What to do? Thank you, cogs

cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

With little information to go on, I'm going to guess the lower element on your electric(?) water heater is burnt-out.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

A little more info needed---sounds like you water heater is the culprit.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,386

may be you installed a defective cartiridge..since all you did was change it. sounds like you could be getting a cross over when it fails...just a guess though..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

I don't know what extra information you need to diagnose. The water heater is electric. Thank you for your replies. I thought too that it was the bottom heating element. Does changing out a shower's valve sometimes cause an element to burn out?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

You either have a coincidence and the heater failed on the same day as your valve repair---or you misdiagnosed the valve--

Does the water heater run out of hot water at all fixtures in the house?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

I powered down, and drained hot water into tub. I tested the thermostat, and it was the correct resistance. I believe I tested the reset circuit correctly, and it was good. The hot does work. I have an electric wh with one element, and a reset/thermostat unit (looks like they're together). After I tested, I powered up and pressed the reset just to be sure. Family still saying not enough hot water?
p.s. Wouldn't the sediment accumulation be drained when I drained the hot water into the tub?
Also, the only thing I noticed was the top of the heating element's head had some stuff on it, maybe it was corrosion, or some sealing stuff. I have hard water.

Last edited by cogs; 01-01-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Of the electric water heaters I have had, scalding water that did not last long pointed to severe sedimentation in the bottom of the tank. In both cases I ended up replacing the tank, as the screw in elements were frozen solid to the tank. Both of mine had an upper and a lower element. I thought all tanks of any size had two elements.

I dont see how your shower valves have anything to do with duration of hot water, since both of them do the same thing. There is a plastic hot limiter in the cartridge valves but Im sure you know that, its written all over them.

Have you changed your anode religiously?
How old is the tank?
What size is the tank?

I just recently installed a new gas unit, and due to the incredible increase in cost of water heaters, I will watch my anode carefully. I already purchased a Mag rod to replace the aluminum one that came with the tank. ( I have read that the only difference between the 6 year warrantied tank and the 10 year, is the type of Anode. Mag 10, AL 6)

I remember when a 40 gallon gas water heater was 129 bucks!

The 52gal NG I just put in was 849 bucks! and it was the less expensive 6 year type!!! Not High E

Last edited by jagans; 01-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #9

Got a new element, drained the wh, and started turning the old element. It was hard to break over, and then it was hard to turn. When I started pulling on it, it was coming out twisted like a pastry. The end was 90degrees, so I thought I might not get it out. I kept rocking it, and it finally came out.

The element was in ok condition (surprisingly), BUT, sediment was covering the element while it was in the wh. Basically, I was trying to remove it while it was buried in sand. Before you judge me, I have no experience with water heaters, and as a first time homeowner, had no idea water heaters could do this. The wh was made in '03.

Finally, I shop vacuumed out as much as would let the element be able to heat water. I don't think ingenious ways to remove sediment is going to help, as the net says the bottom is probably weak, which will cause trouble later. Probably the best thing is to find out how to get a wh that will work, but doesn't cost much, lol. Thankfully, this one still works.
The Following User Says Thank You to cogs For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

If you are pulling that much sediment, The screen on your well pump must be gone. You are probably not that far from needing a new pump, as that grit is scouring the impellers in the pump. I would try to get the silt out of the tank, but by the time you disconnect it, it probably makes sense to just replace it. Prepare for Sticker Shock, as there aren't any "cheap" water heaters any more.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

I don't have a well. I do have hard water, and thank you for the replies, as I'm sure they'll help someone who does have a well.