DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Fix water line after copper stolen (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/fix-water-line-after-copper-stolen-150445/)

01grander 07-16-2012 09:27 AM

Fix water line after copper stolen
 
It was stolen in a few places but i was going to replace that with pex anyways. My main problem is probably really simple.....

The water line for the fridge was copper so they snipped it at the wall. There is still a little coming out but the end is....closed off because they probably used wire cutters. What do I use to cut it so that it maintains the same diameter and how do I connect it to extend and have the correct end for the fridge?


Thanks!

01grander 07-16-2012 11:04 AM

It's an extremely small diameter copper tube that looks like it was for the refrigerator.

joecaption 07-16-2012 11:08 AM

Best to just install a whole new line, not a great idea to have a coupling behind the wall.

01grander 07-16-2012 11:19 AM

Would this be what I would need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenmore-Refr...item27c90c1f42

joecaption 07-16-2012 12:38 PM

That kit comes with what's called a saddle valve, I would not use one. They tend to leak and plug up. You can replace the shut off unde the sink with one with two shut offs on one valve, one will be 3/8 the other one will be 1/4 for your ice maker.
Lowes and Home Depot have all this stuff in stock no need to order anything on line.

Homerepairguy 07-18-2012 03:38 PM

01grander,

Joe's already helping you out but I'm curious.

1. Were you on vacation when the copper thieves struck?
2. Did they steal anything else in your home, or just the copper?
3. What will prevent them from breaking into your home again?

Sorry for your problems,
Sky

01grander 07-18-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerepairguy (Post 968931)
01grander,

Joe's already helping you out but I'm curious.

1. Were you on vacation when the copper thieves struck?
2. Did they steal anything else in your home, or just the copper?
3. What will prevent them from breaking into your home again?

Sorry for your problems,
Sky


1. I still have an apartment that I'm staying at while I'm working on the house. They stole the lines and then came back a few days later for the unit itself.....I'm debating on doing a simple alarm for it. Just something when the wire is cut it will trigger a hardwired alarm.

2. They stole a really old dishwasher....but I was going to replace it anyways.

3. I have an alarm now with a really loud siren.


Thanks for all the replies.

01grander 07-18-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 967100)
That kit comes with what's called a saddle valve, I would not use one. They tend to leak and plug up. You can replace the shut off unde the sink with one with two shut offs on one valve, one will be 3/8 the other one will be 1/4 for your ice maker.
Lowes and Home Depot have all this stuff in stock no need to order anything on line.


Good to know....I probably would have bought that and ran into trouble.

Homerepairguy 07-18-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grander (Post 968933)
1. I still have an apartment that I'm staying at while I'm working on the house. They stole the lines and then came back a few days later for the unit itself.....

Understand now. They targeted a home under construction.

BTW, you're indicating replacing the water line from the source to the refrigerator using copper. Suggest following that plan and use copper, not PEX. The line needs to be coiled behind the refrigerator so will be exposed. If a mouse or rat comes into the house at some point, it may chew on a PEX water line and cause flooding. PEX needs to be completely shielded from rodent access.

HRG


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved