Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

fitting PVC pipe for water supply

when fitting PVC male into a female fitting, e.g. elbow and such, the ideal, of course, is to insert the male all the way into the fitting until it can't go any more.

my question is, for water supply (here is more of an issue than for DWV because of the pressure(, e.g. using 3/4" PVC pipe, if for accessibility or whatever other reason i was unable to stuff the male into the female ALL THE WAY IN (typically another 3/4" depth) and it went in for example only half the way but it's not leaking, is that solid enough to rely on it won't burst in the future ? and typically, is there a rule for what the minimum insertion depth ought to be?

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
when fitting PVC male into a female fitting, e.g. elbow and such, the ideal, of course, is to insert the male all the way into the fitting until it can't go any more.

my question is, for water supply (here is more of an issue than for DWV because of the pressure(, e.g. using 3/4" PVC pipe, if for accessibility or whatever other reason i was unable to stuff the male into the female ALL THE WAY IN (typically another 3/4" depth) and it went in for example only half the way but it's not leaking, is that solid enough to rely on it won't burst in the future ? and typically, is there a rule for what the minimum insertion depth ought to be?

thanks
The minimum insertion depth is the full fitting allowance, anything else can fail. You might be ok with 1/2" into the socket or so on 3/4" pipe, but it depends on usage, water pressure, amount of glue and primer you used, and luck. Make sure you're deburring the pipe well, using enough glue on pipe and socket, and using primer to clean the pipe. Give the pipe a twist as you insert it, it should bury itself in the fitting easily

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #3

i personally do not use pvc male or female ftgs. under ground.they brake to easily !
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #4

oh,glue ftgs. sorry ! some times they are to loose,some times to tight.just make sure you bury the pipe into the ftg. and keep pressure on it for at least a count of 5.
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote