Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

Share |

Fish tank plumbing problems..

I've tried for weeks to ask over on the various fish related forums for help and I feel like all people are doing is just randomly shooting ideas out for me to try as nothing has worked and i'm getting nowhere. I have a 65g fish tank that has a overflow in the corner. The overflow drains into a 20g sump using a Durso Stand Pipe (I don't know if this is terminilogy you guys would be familiar with, but here is a link explaining it: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/?page_id=58 )

If you need to see more information on the tank itself, here is the product page: http://www.marineland.com/sites/Mari...=2052&mid=3228

The problem is the water level in the overflow box is constantly rising and falling creating a toilet flushing type gurgling noise. The only way to fix this problem is to reduce the flow going into the sump via a ball valve. Problem is if something gets lodged in this drain pipe, the sump will then pump all its contents into my display causing a flood. When I try to dial back the flow using a ball valve on the return line, I can't seem to dial in the flow properly to stop the nonstop gurgling noises. I have a diagram below you can see of the sumps design.

I'm not attached to using a durso stand pipe method, but I haven't found any other reliable (and silent) methods to having water flow from my tank into the sump.

I realize this is a long shot, but any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Raibaru; 11-01-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Raibaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Expert (on my house)

If you follow your link to the durso stand pipe and read through it, it states that there are gurgling noises if you do not have the proper airflow through the cap. It also mentions that the cap is cheap and replaceable and may just need tweaking to get it right.

Another thing that may be happening is your return pump is not strong enough to keep sufficient water in the main tank and the overflow is sucking air between refills. It takes a correctly measured pump to keep the two in harmony.

That being said, I have no clue because I use a CPR overflow
cjanlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #3

Sounds like it's strictly a venting problem. You must get air into the cap. Same as pouring oil out of a can, when you pour to fast it creates a vacuum and gurgles air to fill the space the draining fluid has created. If you

Last edited by Ervhagy123; 12-15-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Incorrect grammar
Ervhagy123 is offline   Reply With Quote