Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

First time working with pvc pipe, having trouble

I am about to do a small project involving pvc pipe, but I've run into a challenge. It is very hard to get the pieces to actually fit together. I need to use extreme force and hit it with a hammer, and even then they won't go all the way. I know that once I put glue I only have a few seconds to react so I really can't be trying to use a hammer to get them to fit, wont have time.

I tried sanding the ends but think I just ruined it, it just made it turn white and full of residue.

Will they be easier to insert while the glue is wet? I just don't want to try then end up with a piece that's not all the way in and having to scrap everything. this stuff is more expensive then I thought.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Yes, it goes together easier when you put the glue on.. It doesn't dry fit very well
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

yes, they will slide together much easier once you have glue on them. Not sure what you see as expensive but unless you are on a rice and water diet due to low income, you should be able to grab a couple fittings and a couple chunks of pipe and glue them together so you can "feel" how things are with glue applied. It would be a relatively cheap method to see it for yourself before you start the real plumbing.

once you get the trial pieces together and they dry, you can slice them in half to confirm you have fully seated the pipe in the fitting if you have any doubts.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Cool thanks, I just went ahead and put a couple together. For this project I don't really need to do any measuring or worry too much about angles. As far as expensive, cheaper then copper, but I was just surprised to see that it was like 40 bucks for a length of 6 feet and 5-10 bucks per fitting. It adds up fast. Came out of there and spent about 150 bucks on just a few fittings. Then again guess nothing is too expensive when it's job is to get rid of sewage.

Also the guy at BORG told me I do not need to use primer, I can if I want to, but don't really need to. Is this advice any good? I had the impression I did need primer as to get rid of contaminants that simply swipng my finger wont get rid of. For this particular project (moist air, not drainage) it's not a huge deal so I just went without it but wondering if it was a mistake.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

The pipes not only go together easier with the cement. It actually acts as a lubricant. The pipes will usually slide further into the coupling as a result so you have to account for this in your dry fit. In other words make your pipes maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch longer. On the other hand, if you hammered the fittings together you may be accurate in your pipe lengths. The biggest challenge I found is getting everything to fit together at the correct angle before everything sets up. Fernco makes no hub fittings that work well when things don't go well with the final gluing. This is something that looks fairly simple, but can be quite a challenge for a DIYer without a lot of hands on experience.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

Squirrel,, I always use primer.. Always.. It won't pass code if I don't
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
As far as expensive, cheaper then copper, but I was just surprised to see that it was like 40 bucks for a length of 6 feet and 5-10 bucks per fitting. .
e.
Holy cow. What size pipe are you working with?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

4 inch, maybe that's why, I did not really notice the price of the smaller stuff. Most houses will only have a small amount of 4 inch, come to think of it.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 09-16-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

Always use primer. The inspectors like to see the purple stain it leaves, but be careful with it, because it'll leave the same stain on you. It usually takes a couple of days to come off your hands, and if you get it on your clothes, well, you'll have a permanent reminder. When working with fittings, I usually make a truth mark on both pieces, with a pencil, before sticking them together the final time, but you have to mark it back far enough on the pipe, or else the primer takes it off.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

is this the pipe you are using?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23838-1814-P...d|1%26page%3D3

or this?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24140-1814-P...|1%26page%3D11

sure seems like your pipe is very high priced there.

the price of your fittings don't seem so extreme but they do appear to be a bit lower here:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23355-1814-P...|1%26page%3D10
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Here's a pic. Also, is it a problem that it's slightly touching the hot water heater pipe? I'm guessing I may need to reroute it. Moving the metal pipe will be easier, just need to cut the vertical part a little shorter. I put a small rock to seperate them, for now. Getting late.
Attached Thumbnails
First time working with pvc pipe, having trouble-dsc03298.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

black PVC? I thought only ABS was black.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Hmm never occurred to me ABS was not PVC. Thought it was just a different type or something. This is ABS, the glue also says it's for ABS so at least I know I used the right stuff...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS for short)

polyvinyl chloride (PVC)

not sure what the differences are but from my understanding, you are not supposed to mix the two together.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
Wire Chewer

Good to know. Here ABS is what I see everywhere. I've seen some of the white stuff as well but most of the time it's ABS that I see. Had no idea they were really different, but never really gave it much thought. I did some quick research and yeah, different glue for both, but there is a a universal you can use.

Also, what is the best way to secure a vertical run like mine? Right now it's hanging on a 90 elbow in the attic, and I nailed some plumber tape to make it so it can't slide off the ledge, but I'm not comfortable with just this, I'm sure there's a better way to secure it.