DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

First shower install, drain help please!

17K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tigerbalm2424 
#1 ·
I just purchased this shower stall to finish my basement bathroom. I have never installed a shower or a drain.

http://www.maax.com/en/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?Brand=5&CodeCategory=B&ProductType=32&Product=1651

Currently where the drain is in the concrete floor there is a grate top installed. In addition, when I position the shower stall over the drain and in place there is about a 2" gap between the floor and the bottom of the shower stall drain hole. Isnt the shower base supposed to sit flush against the concrete floor? How is a drain assembly installed to fill this gap? Is there a neck piece or something?

I tried searching online but couldnt find any good diagrams. The install manual just said to install drain per manufacturers specs.:(

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
The house was built with an unfinished basement. All the rough-in plumbing for the basement bathroom was there when I purchased it. This drain location lines up right where the shower was supposed to go per the plans, which is to say, right next to the toilet drain rough-in. How do plumbers usually cap off a shower drain if it wont be utilized right away?

#5 ·
I removed the gunk on top of the grate and then removed the grate. This is what i found:

So where do I go from here? Down the PVC is a bunch of dead flies it looks like. Also, there was no water in the pipe, what does that mean? This drain has been sealed since the house was new so Im guessing there has never been any water poured down it.

#7 ·
That's something I haven't seen before. Are you adding a shower to an existing bathroom or did you just install the rest of the bathroom?
I am tackling a completely unfinished basement. There has never been anything in this location except rough-in plumbing. The original plans show a bathroom in this location. The toilet drain and sink drain are all in position with no issues. This drain is in the correct location for the shower. All vents are there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.