Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

firring strips?

so i installed my tub and my instructions say to put firring strips on the studs as a spacer this way the my fiberglass board goes over the flange/lip. because if not then my board hits the flange and doesnt go over... see the link... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...29fbdc882c.pdf

my question is. where can i get this strip/spacer? should i make my own from wood?

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

firring strips?

Home Depot and any lumber store sells furring strips. They are 1 X 3's Not finished lumber which is more expensive. Tell the salesman what you are doing.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

firring strips?

Rip your own on a table saw. You might have to shim throughout the room to make the drywall fairly flat depending on the size and walls of your bathroom.

Josh Jaros
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #4

firring strips?

ok so i had a friend that is a builder tell me that tile backer should be up to the flange of the tub not over. the tile backer goes up to the flange and the tiles then go over the flange to 1/8 from the bottom of the tub. is this right? right now what i have done is put firring strips up 2 on the short walls and 1 on the long wall and put my tile backer board over that and screwed them in with the tile backer going over the tub flange just a 1/4 inch from the bottom. according to the instructions that were sticked on the backer board said, "use furring strips and have the tile backer go over the lip 1/4 from the bottom and then the tiles go over that closer to the bottom which will leave a 1/8 gap for the caulking/silicone...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

firring strips?

Yes you have it all right
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #6

firring strips?

which way i have it right. the way i have it set up now? or the way my builder friend told me? thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

firring strips?

this one is right

Quote:
have the tile backer go over the lip 1/4 from the bottom and then the tiles go over that closer to the bottom which will leave a 1/8 gap for the caulking/silicone..
Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 516

firring strips?

did you put a plastic vapor barrier over studs first with plastic hanging down over lip? and redguard or kerdi OVER the cement board?? If you tore plaster and lathes off the wall on demo,,,the lathes work fine for furring. If you didnt ,,,find some!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #9

firring strips?

ok now im totally lost and need fast help asap please....

my kohler tub in the instructions say to go over the lip with my material for tiles(tile backer) and use firring strips to space it so this way it goes over... here is the link... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...29fbdc882c.pdf

and then

My tile backer from lowes says to not to go over the lip and just to go right to the lip and then have the tiles go over and hang down with some silicone etc etc... here is the link http://gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=6388 click on the installation tab and click on the pdf file to view

now im up in the air because i have my firring strips up and its over my tub lip, with my tile backer installed. but im ready to remove the screws and take the strips out and just make it flush right to the lip.... what do i do? please asap as i would like to start on in the am ... thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

firring strips?

I still suggest in your case to cover over the flange as stated by Kohler. It also provides better waterproofing. Different manufactures of units will give different recommendations. Like American Standard gives it the other way. But this is because their flange is thicker at the corners and would be difficult to have CBU over it.