Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Firestopping Plumbing Supply Lines

What size holes should I drill for 1/2” copper supply lines penetrating 2x top plates and sole plates and how should they be firestopped.

Thanks

Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #2

I normally drill 1 3/8" holes. Several methods of firestop are available. Fire caulk is common. What rating are you trying to achieve?

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

I like to use 1 1/4 holes my self so I can take the orange CPVC pipe and push it threw the hole, than use just regular fire caulk. It passed TN 1hour guidelines. But keep in mind we were drilling threw concrete and precast floors. stick with your local code, and ask the fire marshel what he wants.
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #4

like eplumber, i use 1 3/8" holes. use a pound in pipe support then fill with firecaulk behind so that you get the fire rating and still have support on the pipe until it dries
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I normally drill 1 3/8" holes. Several methods of firestop are available. Fire caulk is common. What rating are you trying to achieve?
I am guessing you are also using the pound in insulators like “the_man” before you apply the fire caulk. Is this correct?

Regarding the rating, I could not find anything in the California Code Check that called out a minimum rating.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
I like to use 1 1/4 holes my self so I can take the orange CPVC pipe and push it threw the hole, than use just regular fire caulk. It passed TN 1hour guidelines. But keep in mind we were drilling threw concrete and precast floors. stick with your local code, and ask the fire marshel what he wants.
What is orange CPVC pipe?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
like eplumber, i use 1 3/8" holes. use a pound in pipe support then fill with firecaulk behind so that you get the fire rating and still have support on the pipe until it dries
I have some Oatey 1/2” pipe insulators, but did not think I would be permitted to use them. I see they would fill 1-1/4” of the 1-1/2” plate, which would leave 1/4” of space for intumescent sealant. I also see from the specifications for intumescent sealant that 1/4” is enough. I like the idea of using the Oatey 1/2” pipe insulators in 1-3/8” holes and filling the rest of the opening with intumescent sealant.

Sounds like I am good to go unless someone sees a problem with this. Thanks everyone so far for the responses.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #8

maybe i'm wrong, but the fire stop on the wall is the 5/8 rock (one or two layers) and the 2x has nothing to do with it. if you use the insulator on the inside of the wall and caulk the fire barrier you should be good to go. anyone else know for sure?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #9

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...h+Penetrations

www.3M.com/firestop

Quote:
maybe i'm wrong, but the fire stop on the wall is the 5/8 rock (one or two layers) and the 2x has nothing to do with it. if you use the insulator on the inside of the wall and caulk the fire barrier you should be good to go. anyone else know for sure?
Yes you are wrong. Firestop material is to prevent fire from enerting a stud bay, chase, plenum or joist space, and spreading to another space or floor.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
What is orange CPVC pipe?
http://www.harvelsprinklerpipe.com/

this stuff
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...h+Penetrations

www.3M.com/firestop

Yes you are wrong. Firestop material is to prevent fire from enerting a stud bay, chase, plenum or joist space, and spreading to another space or floor.
i'm aware of what firestop material does, and reading thru the links you provided a min of 5/8" thickness of material is needed. if that is applied on the gypsum side of the barrier, it would not need to penetrate into the 2x4. unless i'm missing something, then you'd be able to use the pound in pipe insulator to center the pipe and provide stability
Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
unless i'm missing something
You're missing the fact that the OP is penetrating a floor assembly, which apparently must be fire caulked to some degree.

The Op is not clear on the rating and separation of his floor assembly, except that it is wood framed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
What size holes should I drill for 1/2” copper supply lines penetrating 2x top plates and sole plates and how should they be firestopped.

Thanks
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
You're missing the fact that the OP is penetrating a floor assembly, which apparently must be fire caulked to some degree.

The Op is not clear on the rating and separation of his floor assembly, except that it is wood framed
yea, i thought it was walls, not floor. but does it really change anything? the sheeting, whether its plywood osb or gypsum is the fire barrier not the 2x4. is firestop material that is thicker than the sheeting needed?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #14

Quote:
yea, i thought it was walls, not floor. but does it really change anything? the sheeting, whether its plywood osb or gypsum is the fire barrier not the 2x4. is firestop material that is thicker than the sheeting needed?
The penetrations that need firestopped are at the sole plates and top plates. The red “X” in the photo below marks the spot where the 1/2” copper water supply line for the toilet will penetrate the sole plate.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #15

So far you've only asked about copper lines but have you considered fire caulking the toilet vent? ABS is not allowed through fire rated assemblies either. You can transition to cast iron for 12" each side of the hole.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote