Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

I have a 3-pc rough-in in the basement of the house that I want to finish. But when they say "rough", they ain't kiddin'!

First off, is there a problem teeing off existing 1/2" Pex lines to run the new bathroom fixtures? I plan to tee off the hot and cold that go to the upstairs bathroom (directly above the one I'm finishing). I'm going to use SS clamps since I can snag that tool pretty cheap. I've worked with ABS and copper, but this'll be my first go with Pex.

The part that's really confusing me is the pipes coming out of the concrete. Aside from the obvious toilet drain, there's two pipes coming out of the concrete in the corner where a tub or shower would go and 2 more pipes coming out of the concrete where the vanity would go. They all appear to be 2" black ABS pipes and they're all capped off a foot and half or so above the concrete. They all come up through the sole plate in the 2x6 load-bearing wall except one where the shower would go that's kinda 1/2 in the wall and 1/2 out. They had to notch the sole plate for it.

What I need to figure out is what are vents and what are drains. Or are there even vents there? Nothing goes up to join up to any other pipes for venting, it's all buried in the concrete. Even if I determine which pipes are vents, will I need to tie those into an existing vent line?

I read through a post where a woman had a similar issue (Mechelle). It was informative on what I need to do to move the drain... I just need to identify the drain!

I'm going to post pics tonight so it's clear what I'm looking at.

DanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #2

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
I'm going to post pics tonight so it's clear what I'm looking at.
Good! That'll help us determine what is what.

Are you supposed to tee off of existing 1/2" PEX with other 1/2" PEX? Not really, but it will probably work just fine. Depends of the fixture load on the given run of 1/2" line you're tapping. I've done it here and there in my house and have had no issues, but every setup is different.

PEX is easy to work with. Just be sure to test all the connections before covering them in the walls and ceiling.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

It sounds like you have whole bath fed with those 1/2" lines. If that's the case they are already undersized. Not only does adding another bath to them violate building codes but you will have problems with fluxuating water temperature when someone in the other bath flushes a toilet or uses the sink.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
It sounds like you have whole bath fed with those 1/2" lines. If that's the case they are already undersized. Not only does adding another bath to them violate building codes but you will have problems with fluxuating water temperature when someone in the other bath flushes a toilet or uses the sink.
From how I see it, I've got a 3/4" line coming off the water meter. There's a tee connecting a line to the water heater. There's tees that divide the set of lines to the main floor and another set of lines up to the 2nd floor. Everything is 3/4" up to this point. Then all the water supply for the main floor branches off in countless tees to all 1/2" lines supplying the vanity, toilet, washer, outside tap, kitchen sink and dishwasher. The other 3/4" set goes up to supply both 3pc and 4pc baths on the 2nd floor.

So could I tee off the main floor 3/4" lines with 1/2" for this bath to not have any flow issues?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #5

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

I was a bit off on my description. The vanity area only has one pipe coming up, so that's pretty self-explanatory. The 100k limit on pics here makes it hard to post clear pics, so I created a WebShots page for them: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565173702ohCTGW
Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post

So could I tee off the main floor 3/4" lines with 1/2" for this bath to not have any flow issues?
I can't promise you won't have issues as I don't know how many baths, kitchens, hose bibs, etc you have and what kind of plumbing those rooms have. It will defiantly be better then tapping off a 1/2" line though.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #7

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
I can't promise you won't have issues as I don't know how many baths, kitchens, hose bibs, etc you have and what kind of plumbing those rooms have. It will defiantly be better then tapping off a 1/2" line though.
Here's some diagrams I did of my current plumbing and the two options I have to tee of 3/4" lines. Option A is going off the main floor 3/4" lines and Option B is going off the main supply 3/4" lines before any other tees. Since I'm only running one bathroom downstairs, I plan on teeing off the 3/4" down to 1/2".
Attached Thumbnails
Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In-current-plumbing.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by DanTheMan; 08-08-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #8

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

I got the importane pics down in size enough to post here so you don't need to go to Webshots.

Those two pipes where the shower goes are what I'm confused about. As well as how/if I need to worry about running a vent line.
Attached Thumbnails
Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In-shower-pipes.gif   Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In-dangling-pipe.gif  
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #9

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

The dangling pipe is likely a vent for the basement bath.

The shower should be 2", and is usually left in the floor, if they roughed it in. Any voids in the floor anywhere?

I suspect that one of the 1-1/2" pipes is a lavatory drain and the other is a vent.

Teeing off the 3/4" runs of PEX is certainly the ideal way to do it.

Last edited by Termite; 08-08-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #10

Finshing a 3-pc Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The dangling pipe is likely a vent for the basement bath.

The shower should be 2", and is usually left in the floor, if they roughed it in. Any voids in the floor anywhere?

I suspect that one of the 1-1/2" pipes is a lavatory drain and the other is a vent.

Teeing off the 3/4" runs of PEX is certainly the ideal way to do it.
There's no voids anywhere. It's all level and smooth concrete. They can use 1-1/2" for a tub right? That's probably what they would envision there since the room would accomodate one. But I just want to put in a corner shower.

Where the vanity would go, there's only one pipe. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by lavatory. Where the bathtub would go, there's two pipes.

The dangling pipe that pokes down from the main floor is above where the vanity would be in both bathrooms so I'd have to run that across the wall over to the shower if it's meant for that.

I know this should be so simple. I just can't make heads or tails of what I need to do for draining/venting. And the plumber who did the house is super busy and probably wouldn't get in for at least a week.