DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Finishing a roughed in bathroom in basement

11K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  andsmith79 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I purchased my town house about 2 years ago. Only the upper two levels were finished. The builder equipped the basement with a room roughed in for a bathroom. In this room there are 3 PVC pipes sticking out of the concrete. The first two PVC pipes are 2 inches wide and will be used for the shower and sink. The remaining 3 inch pipe will be for the toilet. All three pipes are joined and terminate to an open PVC pipe in the sewage pit located on the other side of the wall in the laundry room. There is also a PVC pipe in the ceiling of the bathroom that will be extended to the sewage pipe for ventilation. The sewage pit is roughly 3 1/2 feet below the sewage line level.

I have been searching the net trying to find out what type of sewage/ejector/grinder pump I need to purchase to go into the sewage pit. I have found all different types and prices ranging from $300 - $1500. Would anyone be able to tell me what type of sewage pump I need to purchase? Below is a picture of the area where the bathroom will be located.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Right type. but never heard of it so I cannot give a review. Personally from experience I say away from home center products like these. They make their money on basics. Anything that they do not sell often is usually a lower quality and/or overpriced. Good prices on the basics and fast moving items. This purchace depends on where you are installing it. If it fails (and it will some day), what will happen to the area around it? How often with this bath be used? My advise is to get a quality unit that will last longer and work better. Go to your local plumbing supplier and buy one.

#6 ·
Bob - Thanks again for the advice! I've actually taken the shower out of the pitcure. The only things being installed are a toilet and sink. I plan on just capping off the shower drain since it will not be used. There are three other bathrooms located in the house so I cannot imagine the one in the basement will be used all that much.

Regarding the comment on the washing machine backing up, I doubt it will as it is located on the left side of the picture and it has it's own dedicated discharge line directly into the sewage line. The sewage pump in the pit will only be used for the toilet, sink and possibly a shower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.