Finishing Basement, Few Questions About Working With Pex... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing basement, few questions about working with pex...

Hey guys, I was working on getting my basement finished. I've got a bathroom that's already roughed in with drains, and I need to run water to it. Per the plumber, the home is on a homerun system, I don't need to maintain that. I also have plans for a wet bar that I want to rough in. Almost all of the lines are zipped together, and run right over the wet bar, it would be easy if I could just tee the lines...I live in laramie county, WY btw...

My questions are:

Can I tee off of existing pex lines running to upstairs bathrooms/sinks/etc?

If I can't tee off of the lines, I only have two availbe bungs on the hot/cold manifold, how would run hot/cold to the bathroom sink, shower, and wet bar sink then?

For the wetbar, right where I'm putting it there is a drain running down the wall, can I tap into that for the sink drain?

Also any tips, special parts I'll need?

Here are a couple pics, the first one shows the pex lines running over the roughed in bathroom. The next one shows that drain by the wetbar that I wanted to tap into...Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Advertisement

Wyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You can add to the existing pex for your new setup.

The problem is that you have a home run system. What this means for your situation is that they used smaller pipe versus a distribution system. This will cause a smaller amount of water flow if both of the faucets are on at the same time.

Now if they ran 3/4" then flow shouldn't be a problem. But home run systems usually run smaller pipe. From your pictures it looks like 1/2".

As long as you understand that you are good to go.

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #3

I do understand, in that bunch of pex, there are a few 3/4" lines, not sure where they are going to though. Very rarely with the basement bathroom and guest bathroom be running on the same time, I can deal with the lighter flow. Any ideas on how to tap in the drain for the wet bar? I see there is a plug in there already, can I remove that and slip a PVC fitting in that way, do I ned to cut it or what? From the looks of it, all of the waste is going down that one tube. Also what else will I need to finish the bathroom plumbing other than the fixtures themselves?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyjeep View Post
I do understand, in that bunch of pex, there are a few 3/4" lines, not sure where they are going to though. Very rarely with the basement bathroom and guest bathroom be running on the same time, I can deal with the lighter flow. Any ideas on how to tap in the drain for the wet bar? I see there is a plug in there already, can I remove that and slip a PVC fitting in that way, do I ned to cut it or what? From the looks of it, all of the waste is going down that one tube. Also what else will I need to finish the bathroom plumbing other than the fixtures themselves?
Can't use the cleanout which is for clogs that can't be fixed any other way. But you can tap into it and use that.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

Tap into it? I'm assumming I'd use my reciprocating saw to cut off a section of the pipe and attach a coupler with a tap over the PVC?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyjeep View Post
Tap into it? I'm assumming I'd use my reciprocating saw to cut off a section of the pipe and attach a coupler with a tap over the PVC?
Yes.

And use cheap gloves you can throw away and a mask. This is a sewer of course.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #7

I had a quick question, what kind of fitting am I supposed to use to splice into the drain? I know that I'll need to cut the drain and apply a sleeve over with an outlet, but what do I need to get to attach the sink drain to that drain pipe? Also will it drain properly since the drain isn't coming straight from the ground? Basically I want to rought it in so the only thing I'll need to do is attach the sink, I'd like the lines already ran to the bar area. I'm pretty comfortable working with the pec it seems very straight forward...
Old 08-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #8

This is pretty old, but I wanted to update. For the wet bar hot/cold, I cut into the 1/2" laundry lines and used no-crimp fittings to splice them into a T. I ran 1/2" pecs from the T fitting to the wet-bar and capped it off. I've had the fittings on for about 6 months and there have been no leaks, I'm very pleased.

As for the drain, I purchased a coupler from Home Depot and used a reciprocating saw to hack into the drain. The coupler I used had a 1 1/2" female coupling attached at a 45 degree angle, I bought some tubing and a p-trap and ran it right to the sink. I used blue plumber's glue to seal all of the couplings/tubing together. All in all it took no more than 2 hours to plumb the whole thing, piece of cake.

*Make sure to cut the pecs straight with the cutter, or the fittings won't seal right.

Advertisement